Hello friends, I hope you all are fine and enjoying. Today i am going to share my new project tutorial which is Relay Control Using 555 Timer in Proteus ISIS. We all know about relays which are used for automatic switching and are magnetically connected while electrically insulated. If you don’t know much about relay then I think you should first read What is a Relay? in which I have given a detailed overview of relays and where are relays used? After reading this post you will have a good grip over relay and today’s post will be piece of cake for you. Relays are mostly used with some microcontroller like Arduino or PIC Microcontroller. You might also wanna have a look at traffic Signal Control using 555 Timer, which is good if you are interested in learning 555 Timer.
Now in today’s project, it can be understood from it’s name (Relay Control Using 555 Timer in Proteus ISIS), that we are going to operate and control a Relay through 555 Timer. First of all, if we define the relay, then we can say that, ‘Relay is a Electrical switch which operates Mechanically’. You should also check this Relay Simulation in Proteus to know how it works. Although some relays operate automatically but since we are working on a very basic project and we will be controlling the relay from an external mean and for this we will use a mechanical switch. Mechanical switch is in fact a button and we can turn it ON or OFF according to our own choice.It is a very simple and easy project and most of its contents have been described in the earlier tutorials. So, i am not going into much detail and without wasting any time, lets move towards the Hardware of the circuit. But its my personal advice, try to do design this relay control using 555 timer project yourself and get to know the practical applications of 555 Timer in person. You can also Download the complete simulation of above described tutorial by simply clicking on the button given below:
Relay Control Using 555 Timer in Proteus ISIS
- First of all place all the components in your Proteus workspace as shown in the image given below:
- Now connect supply voltage (+5 volts) to Vcc pin of 555 Timer.
- At output pin of 555 Timer, which is pin # 3, we will connect our load. By load we mean a 5 volts relay and a simple DC motor is connected next to the relay.
- As i told earlier that we are using a manual relay, so a simple push Button is also connected between pin # 3 and relay.
- If you have connected all the electronic components in their exact place, then the final simulation will look like as shown in the image given below:
- If you notice the image closely, then you will observe that a Diode is also connected in parallel with the relay coil.
- A Relay contains a coil. When voltage source is applied across one end of the Relay and the other end is connected to the ground, then relay gets energized. And when we remove the source voltages then, it still remains energized and the stored charge tends to flow the reverse current.
- The reason to connect the Diode is that it blocks the reverse current and only allows the forward current to pass through it.
- Now run the simulation, if button is kept in OFF state then, voltage will appear across the Relay but it will not operate. To run the load,which is Motor in this case, we will have to turn the switch ON. Which can be seen in the image given below:
- As you can see in the above image, when the switch was in ON state, then relay gets no signal and doesn’t operate. As we move the switch from ON state to OFF state, then relay gets the signal and it starts to operate the load.
- Now after reading today’s post, you must have a look at Relay Interfacing with Microcontroller which is an advanced tutorial and the benefit of microcontroller is that now you can control your relay any way you want.
- Other exciting tutorials on 555 Timer includes Seven segment Control using 555 timer and Servo Motor Control using 555 Timer.
- I have created a small video for this tutorial in which I have shown how to do relay control using 555 Timer, I hope you are gonna like it:
Alright Friends that was all for today’s tutorial about relay control using 555 timer. I hope i have conveyed something new today. If you have any questions, then don’t hesitate to ask in comments and i will try my best to resolve them. Follow us through email to get tutorial straight in your inbox. Till next tutorial, Take care and Be Safe !!! 🙂