Hello Friends! I hope you are enjoying your life and having fun. Today, I am going to give you brief details on the Introduction to 6n137. It is a photocoupler that is used to transfer electrical signal with the help of light between two separated circuits. It consists of one chip photo IC and high emitting diode. It is a 8 pin device which comes in DIP package. I’ll try to cover as many aspects as possible related to this photocoupler. Let’s get started.
Introduction to 6n137
- 6n137 is a photocoupler also known as optocoupler that is used to connects the two electrically isolated circuits with the help of light.
- It consists of 8 pins where inputs and outputs terminals are electrically isolated which help in controlling the large power, current and AC voltages with small digital signal.
- It is great electronic device with is used for both AC and DC signals and allows low voltage signals, digital switch or PC’s output port to control the devices like triacs and power transistors.
- 6n137 is widely used in energy generation and energy distribution.
- It is a main source of producing uninterruptible power supply and is incorporated with LED and photo-detector logic gate that features strobable output.
- Main purpose of this output is to exhibit an open collector which allows wired OR-outputs.
- The incorporated parameters operate with the temp range from -40 to 85 ºC.
- The 6n137 is best choice for input-output buffering and high speed logic interfacing.
6n137 Pin Configuration
6n137 consists of 8 pins where input and output terminals are electrically isolated.
Function of each pin is described as follows
1: N.C 5: GND
2: Anode 6: Output
3: Cathode 7: Enable
4: N.C 8: Vcc
- A capacitor of 0.1uF should be connected between the pins 5 and 8.
- 6n137 is desgined in a perfect way to achieve TTL compatibility and exhibits maximum dc and ac circuit isolation.
Working of 6n137
- 6n137 consists of LED that converts electrical signal into light.
- It features closed optical channel which is also referred as dielectric channel and photosensor which helps in detecting the light and produces electric energy.
- The sensor can be triac, silicon controlled rectifier (SCR), phototransistor, photodiode, or photoresistor.
- Because, LED not only helps in sensing light but also emits it.
- A sudden increase in voltage can be applied to power transmission lines and other electronic equipment. The main function of optocoupler is to block the sudden in voltage, so that latest surge in the voltage can not effect the other part of the circuit.
- This process was mainly used in the early isolation transformers, where inductive coupling was used between input and output that are electrically isolated.
- Both, optocouplers and transformers encompass reinforce protection i.e. they protect, both, the equipment and the user who is operating the equipment.
- Both come with a physical isolation barrier, but feature protection that is equivalent to double isolation.
Truth table of 6n137 is shown in the figure below
- It is clear from picture when input and enable is high then output will be low.
- When input is low and enable is high then output will be high.
- Similarly when input is high and enable is low then output is high.
- When both, input and enable are low then output will be high.
- Basically 6n137 interconnects the input and output sides with the help of light.
6n137 encompasses following features.
- Strobable output
- Logic gate output
- Wired OR-open collector
- U.L recongnized
- Fan-out of 8 over -40 to 85 ºC
- Double working voltage -480 V
- Superior CMR – 10 kV/µs
- Very high speed – 10 MBit/s
Absolute Maximum Ratings
Following figure shows the absolute maximum rating of 6n137.
- It is important to note that if stresses are exceeded from absolute maximum rating, they can damage the device at large.
- Also, if stresses are applied for extended period of time above the recommended operating conditions, they can effect the device reliability.
- Ground loop elimination
- Data multiplexing
- LSTTL to TTL, LSTTL or 5-volt CMOS
- Computer-peripheral interface
- Switching power supplies
- Pulse transformer replacement
- Line receiver and data transmission
This is all about the optocoupler 6n137. I hope you have got the clear idea about this optocoupler i.e. what it does and what are its main application? However, if still you feel and doubt or question you can ask me in the comment section below. I’ll try my best to resolve your query according to best of my expertise. Stay tuned!