Hello friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss What is the Future of Optical Engineering? In conjunction with the National Research Council, Scientists have highlighted that the development of optic and photonic technologies is of the utmost importance when it comes to the future of the United States. Consequently, the government is advised to create optic and photonic initiatives that would swiftly advance greater research and development of optic engineering and photonics technology.
In today’s post, we will have a look at various reasons to pay attention to the future of optics and photonics technologies. So let’s get started with What is the Future of Optical Engineering?
- Meta-materials are engineered to generate properties that are non-existence in natural materials.
- They possess smart properties that can manipulate electronic waves consequently, they are able to offer benefits that are far beyond the possibilities with conventional materials.
- When designed appropriately, metamaterials engineered by optics can impact sound or waves of electromagnetic radiation in such a way that is not visible with bulk materials.
- It is predicted that metamaterials will be of greater use and value in defence applications.
Optical Technologies can Aid Wide-Area Surveillance
- The United States should consider how applicable and well developed optical technologies can aid platforms with the capability of object identification, wider-area surveillance, laser strike, high-bandwidth space communication, improved image resolution, as well as defence against missiles, especially for military and other security interventions.
- Engaging optics engineering and photonics technologies synergistically for a high-altitude platform or laser strike fighter have the ability to result in detailed knowledge regarding an area, information download via communication links, the possibility of striking targets in the fastest possible manner, as well as the possibility of defending against missile attack in a robust manner.
- It is clear that this technology opportunity may become the point of focus for tons of other aspects in optics as well as photonic, typical examples of such areas include free-space communication, high-powered lasers, super-sophisticated camera development, and other areas that the U.S. must take the lead to enable it to maintain national security.
- Even in the world of guns, optic technology is being deployed increasingly. For instance, rifle scopes use optic technologies.
- Scopes offer high magnification and are being used in hunting. They can be used even with both eyes and you’ll have a lot more leeway with where your head or eyes are positioned.
- Also, the future of more robust computing partly relies on the proper development of optics and photonics technologies.
- This is because the present computing devices, whether it is quantum computers or photonic circuits, have shown us that there are greater possibilities with computing devices and computing itself in the future.
- As the demand for more efficient and faster computing increases, photonics appears to be something to watch out for in the future, and a promising field to venture into by both individuals and governments.
- Already, Google, IBM, and other technology giants have invested massively in this direction.
- Through imaging, it is possible to see the wide range of chemical and physical changes occurring in a system.
- Imaging plays an important role particularly in medicine, biology, as well as security issues.
- Using ultrafast imaging, humans have been able to study the ultrafast phenomenon, a typical example is the chemical reactions that take place in short time duration.
- Examples of notable ultrafast imaging systems include STREAK camera, STEAM, and others.
- When it comes to spectroscopy, fingerprinting is the basic concept. Devices engaged for scanning at important locations such as airports are dependent on those spectroscopic systems.
- And, the future has more to offer with imaging when optics and photonics technologies are further explored.
Further Development of Electric Grid for Solar Power
- The United States’ energy stakeholders can seek for ways to strike cost equality across the electric grid of the nation for solar energy/power VS the intended 2020 fossil-powered electric plants.
- Think for a moment, the possibilities with a renewable source of energy that impacts the environment minimally and costs less compared to nonrenewable alternatives.
- While this may appear to be an ambitious goal and a grand challenge, it is doable and possible with extra efforts.
- Material processing and nanofabrication are quite essential, for both basic research as well as industrial applications.
- And, these can get better if optics and photonics are further explored and maximized in the future.
- There has been an advancement in optical data storage and a nine-fold data storage boost has been witnessed via the BluRay disc and similar technologies.
- And, the future holds even much more, as long as stakeholders will take giant strides to further research, develop and deploy optics and applicable technologies.
It is the detailed article on the future of optical engineering if you have any question ask in comments. Thanks for reading.