Hello everyone, how are you doing and I hope everybody would be doing great. i am going to discuss today Types of PCB (Printed Circuit Board). Thank you, everyone, for coming back to our website and it means so much. we are grateful for your engagement and most importantly for choosing to educate yourself over anything else in the world.
PCB circuit board are everywhere and we daily use dozen of the circuit board and interact with them. There is no doubt in saying that the PCB has made our lives easier and advanced. For example, the first thing in the morning is your alarm goes off, and wherever you hit snooze, every time you send a signal through its circuit board. And probably the list goes on as you turn the light on of the room, etc.
What is PCB
The abbreviation of the Printed circuit board is PCB, and it is the core of electronic products. But all of them are not equal. They are available in different types and made from different materials and specifications for a wide range of applications. Since the early 1900 PCBs are manufacturing and there is a major evolution of PCB happened in the last few years.
PCB is a board that interconnects different electronic and electrical components. It is necessary for building a circuit. This article will bring a deeper understanding of the types of the circuit board and help you in finding the most suitable PCB for your needs.
If you are working on some electronics project and want to design or fabricate PCB / PCBA, then we would suggest you to try PCBWay Fabrication House. They have an experienced team, eager to guide you throughout the process. & they always provide excellent results as per your requirements.
Different Types of Circuit board
- As I mention before that printed circuit board comes in a different size because of their characteristics and different requirements.
- The copper rails on circuit boards are used to connect different points of locations. They are easy to recognise.
- Their design makes them different from each circuit.
- Most of the PCBs are made of fibreglass, composite epoxy, and other composite materials.
- For simple electronics most of the time only one or single layer PCB use. But for the sophisticated or complex one such as motherboards and computer graphics card multi-layers PCBs used.
Now let’s find about the types of circuit boards in details.
Single Sided PCBs
A single-sided circuit board is the simplest one and made out after a different process. Let’s find out.
- It is the least complicated one.
- Contain one layer of substrate or base material
- One layer of the substrate is covered with the thin layer of metal or copper (it is excellent conductor)
- After the copper base painting usually a protective solder mask is applied.
- A silkscreen coat is applied to complete the look
They can be purchased on low cost and especially for high volume orders. Their cost is low as compared to other circuit boards.
They are used in a variety of applications like cameras, radio, printers, calculator etc.
Double Sided PCBs
Double Sided Printed circuit boards are more common as compare to single sided PCBs. Because of their high properties.
- Both sides have metal conductive layers and parts are connected to both sides
- Electric components are separated evenly on the entire board
- Holes are drilled through the board to connect to the other side too.
- For connecting both sides used through holes or with the surface-mount.
What is Through Hole
Through holes in double-sided PCBs means that small wires (known as leads) are fed through the holes with each end of the leads and then joined to the right component.
What is Surface Mount
In the surface mount wires are not used as connectors. Alternatively, small leads are soldered directly to the board. Simply put, that board itself is used as a wiring surface for the many components.
- Less space
- Allowing the board to complete more function by freeing up space
- Lighter weight and higher speed than through hole
Double-sided PCBs are used in complex applications as comper to single sided PCBs. It demands a medium level of complexity. The applications that used double sided or double layers PCBs are power supplies, HVAC systems, LED lighting and Vending machines etc.
Multi Layers PCBs
The Multi Layers PCBs are more complex than double sided PCBs. It consists of a series of three or more double layers. These are using advanced technology in double sided boards.
- More than two layers of the substrate on the board
- The insulating material used on every layer
- The same latest technology of double sided is used to connect the different components
- The largest multilayer PCB was fifty layers thick.
Rigid Circuit boards are made of the solid substrate like printed circuit boards. Printed circuit board are not just classified based on layers and sides.
- It prevents the board from twisting.
- A most common example is a rigid motherboard
- The main difference is the number of layers
- Rigid PCBs consist of different rigidity
Fibreglass is one of the best options because it keeps the board from bending and stops any type of damage.
Flex is a short form of flexible. You can guess it with a name that it will make the flexible PCBs with the flexible plastic.
- Fit into different shapes
- Bend the board anytime and keep it safe
- Costly than other designs
- PCBs are light in weight and used in advanced technology
As shows in name that it is the combination of rigid and flex. It is the last type a litle bit confusing but the main concept behind it was to use it with the strongest boards.
- Bothe flexibe and rigid
- Circuit board is rigid but its connect layers with the flex circuit board
- Difficult to make
- Consist of multi layers of flexible PCBs