Hi all,
Whilst I work in IT, I am a beginner when it comes to coding, and I haven't done anything with a Pi. I do however have a "thing" I'd like to build, and am wondering if the Pi can do what I'm looking for.

I have an amateur motor-racing team, and we run in a production series with a lot of restrictions on what we can do to the cars. This leads us to do a lot of "fun", "pretend race team' things, like DIY radio sets and cool suits and other such frippery.

One thing I would like to build is a series of connected timers/clocks, so that we can have a display inside each car that counts down the race (they're timed races generally).

The idea would be a screen in each car, as well as one in the pits, and a way to set a time and then start/stop them, all remotely. Obviously wifi is out as a) the tracks don't all have this and b)range, so I am assuming the signals would have to go via the cell network.

The use case would be the pit crew setting timers for things like countdown to race starts, formation laps etc, then resetting for race start, all remotely - perhaps from a mobile app. That part aside, would the Pi be an appropriate platform for the display/receiving parts within the car? I am not sure if there's a cellular module for the Pi, but am open to suggestions.

Just wondering what the thoughts of the experts here are on whether this is something I should/could be able to tackle, or whether I'm over-reaching.