Hello everyone! I hope you all will be absolutely fine and having fun. Today, I am going to share a detailed Introduction to MC34063.
It's normally required for the construction of DC to DC converters. MC34063 has a high current output switch
, Pulse Width Modulation
) controller with current limiting, compensated reference of internal temperature, a comparator and a driver.For the inverting, boost and buck applications there is no need of a huge complicated external components, instead they can be performed using minimum external components. MC 34063 operates properly in the temperature ranging from 0 to 70 degree celsius. MC34063 ha s wide range of applications in real life e.g. portable equipment, Human Machine Interface (HMI), test and measurement, telecommunications, computing and consumer, cable solutions etc.
Introduction to MC34063
- MC34063 is basically a monolithic control circuit having all the functions required for the construction of DC to DC converters i.e. buck converter, boost converter or inverters etc.
- It consists of multiple functions, which are:
- High current output switch.
- Active Peak Current Limit.
- MC 34063 requires minimum externals equipment for buck, boost applications.
- It has a lot applications including, cable solutions, blood gas analyzer, telecommunications etc.
- The current, voltage and power ratings of MC 34063 are shown in the table given below:
|MC34063 Maximum Ratings|
|1||Power Supply Voltage||Vcc||40||V|
|2||Comparator Input Voltage Range||Vir||-0.3 to +40||V|
|3||Switch Collector Voltage||Vc(switch)||40||V|
|4||Switch Emitter Voltage||Ve(switch)||40||V|
|5||Switch Collector to Emitter Voltage||Vce(switch)||40||V|
|6||Driver Collector Voltage||Vc(driver)||40||V|
|7||Driver Collector Current||Ic(driver)||100||mA|
1. MC34063 Pinout
- MC34063 is available in DIP, SOIC & SON packages.
- These packages of MC 34063 has eight (8) pins each.
- Each of these pins along with its name is shown in the table given below:
|Pin No.||Pin Name|
|5||Comparator Inverting Input|
- I have also labelled these Pins on the IC for better understanding:
2. MC34063 Pins Configuration
- MC 34063 pins configuration along with the functions associated each of the pin is provided in the table shown below.
- All the eight pins of MC 30463 with the functions associated with them are shown in table above.
3. MC34063 Proteus Simulation
- As I have told earlier, MC34063 is used mostly for buck or boost applications.
- So, I have designed this simple buck converter Proteus Simulation of MC34063, where I have converted voltage from 12V to 5V.
- Here's the circuit diagram of buck converter shown in below figure:
- You can see in above figure that input voltage of this buck converter is 12V while the output voltage is 5V.
- The circuit I have designed in Proteus is kind of a basic circuit of MC34063.
- By changing the values of resistors and inductor, you can change the output voltage.
- You can download this Proteus Simulation of buck converter by clicking below button:
[dt_default_button link="https://www.theengineeringprojects.com/ElectronicComponents/Introduction%20to%20MC34063.zip" button_alignment="default" animation="fadeIn" size="medium" default_btn_bg_color="" bg_hover_color="" text_color="" text_hover_color="" icon="fa fa-chevron-circle-right" icon_align="left"]Download Proteus Simulation[/dt_default_button]
4. MC34063 Packages
- MC 34063 has different packages, a few of which are shown in the table given below.
- The three packages including PDIP, SOIC and SON along with their dimensions are shown in the above table.
5. MC34063 Features
- The different features associated with MC 34063 are provided in the table shown below.
- The description of the features associated with the device MC 34063 are provided in chronological order in the table shown above.
6. MC34063 Schematic Diagram
- The internal circuitry of the device MC 34063 is shown in the figure given below.
- From the above figure, you can see that MC 34063 consista of oscillator, 1.25V reference regulator, gate and a combination of transistors etc.
7. MC34063 Applications
There are a lot of applications associated with MC34063, a few of which are given below.
- Human Machine Interfaces (HMI).
- Portable devices.
- Measurement and test.
- Gas and blood analyzer.
- Cable solutions.
- These are the few applications associated with MC 34063.
So, that is all from the tutorial Introduction to MC34063.
I hope you enjoyed this exciting tutorial. If you are facing any sort of issue regarding anything, you can ask me in comments anytime you want, without even feeling any kind of hesitation. I will try my level best to sortout your problems, if possible. Our entire team is also 24/7 there to entertain you. I will explore further hardware equipment in my upcoming tutorials. So till then, Take Care :)