As you all know, PCBs are now part of our daily life and used in every electronic equipment. The device you are using to read this article also using PCBs either it is a phone or PC.
The PCB has a major advantage over all the old circuit board because now PCBs work more precisely as compared to an earlier time.
Look at the example below:
All the large cables were connected where they fit, but there was not a proper setup.
However, now PCBs use a different approach. Therefore PCBs are available in different sizes and shapes. Now PCBs are designed on a computer and can be fitted with different components.
Parts of PCB
Large Wires turn into Thin Lines
Now when you look at the PCB, you can’t find any large wires on the circuit board. Because larger wires are turned into thin lines and those are conductive and connect all the components in the circuit.
Tiny Holes and Save Significant Space
When you see a tiny hole in a PCB, it is a place where a component will be fixed. All the tiny holes are drilled exactly where all the components need to be placed.
For example, such as:
If a microchip is placed and it is a part of the circuit and required six connections, in that case, the same numbers of holes will be made on the board.
Now part of the circuit can be fixed perfectly and without long wires and leads.
It is the last and final part that is added to the circuit board. Components are the small electronic devices that should be linked to the unit to work. The most common components that are included in printed circuit boards are:
The function of the PCB components is:
- Battery – Its supply power to the circuit and by a double terminal device.
- Diode – Diode controls the electricity on the circuit board and forces it to flow in one direction.
- Capacitor – It can quickly hold and release the electrical charge.
- IC (Integrated Circuit) – It is a chip that contains on many circuits and components and it can quickly release and hold any charge.
- Inductor – It stores energy from an electrical current as a magnetic energy store.
- Resistor – It provides resistance and manages the flow of electrical current.
- Switch – Switch will either block the current or let it flow. It depends on it is closed or open
- Transistor – Transistor control the electrical signals.
- LED (Light Emitting Diode) – It is a small light on the circuit board and it will be helping in providing a visual response.
All these components perform the work of the circuit and PCB provides the connections.
How PCB works or gets created Nowadays?
- Nowadays, most of the electronic circuit is designed on a computer. This helps electrical engineer in creating the perfect mounted arrangements parts.
- All of this process happens before making the design permanent. It is more like ink on a paper.
- PCB got printed after when their design is completed.
- You can get your PCB done, online by various companies and the one, I recommend, is PCBWay. They got a professional team and delivers the order on time.
The raw circuit board has two layers:
- The bottom layer is non-conductive.
- The top layer is conductive and the sheet of the top layer is made of metal such as copper.
- An ink that is printed on the metal layer is Etch-resistant ink and it is required in the design.
- Thereafter the board is covered with chemicals. It will remove the metal layer except where the design is printed.
What was the purpose?
The conductors will remain in the pattern where it was needed for the circuit. When the components will be connected to the board and preserve.
Now PCBs will be tested and if they will pass the test, then it will be shipped.
All of this process is automated with thousands and millions of the same circuit board being built for use around the world.
Why PCBs are necessary for electronic and Technology Industry
- Mechanical support for electronic devices
- Connect various components to other materials
- Serve as conductor of heat transfer
- Guard the electronic components by providing electromagnetic
- Provide electrical impedance and minimize and maximize the transfer of power.
I hope you understand how does PCBs work and what is the purpose of its parts and their functions.
It will help you in choosing the best PCB for you.
If you have any question regarding this article or any other related to the PCB. Feel free to comment down below and ask as much as you want.
Because we love to hear from you and happy to help in any situation.