Hello Friends! Happy to see you around. I welcome you on board. In this post today, I’ll walk you through the Introduction to 1n4749.The 1n4749 is a Zener diode made of silicon material. It is used for clipping circuits with high power rating. It is also incorporated in voltage stabilizing circuits and voltage protection circuits. There is a slight difference between the normal diode and Zener diode. In the normal diode, conduction is carried out in one direction only i.e. in forward biased condition. While in the case of Zener diode the conduction is carried out in both conditions i.e. forward biased condition and reverse biased condition. Zener diodes are also applied to keep circuits from overvoltage.Read this post till the end as I’ll walk you through the complete Introduction to 1n4749 covering datasheet, pinout, features, and applications of Zener diode 1n4749.Let’s jump right in.
Introduction to 1N4749
- The 1n4749 is a Zener diode available in the DO-41 package. It is composed of semiconductor material and is mainly employed in voltage protection circuits and for clipping circuits with high power ratings.
- A simple diode and a Zener diode are two different components in terms of the current flowing inside them. The conduction in the simple diode is carried out in one direction only i.e. forward biased condition. The current flows from the anode terminal to the cathode terminal in a simple diode
- While on the other hand, the conduction in the Zener diode is carried out in both conditions i.e. forward biased condition and reverse biased condition.
- The Zener resistor is commonly used in the electrical circuits along with the Zener diode that controls the current flowing through the diode and the load connected to the Zener diode. If you don’t apply this resistor, the Zener diode may damage because of the high current passing through the diode. The Zener resistor keeps the Zener diode from high current.
- The Zener diode is made by plenty of different voltages and is commonly known as a building block of modern electronics.
- Some Zener diodes that come with electronic quantum tunneling carry sharp p-n junction. This electronic tunneling is known as the Zener effect.
- Zener diodes are used to produce low-power supply rails using higher voltages. They are also incorporated to produce reference voltages for the electrical circuits.
- The current flowing through the Zener diode is defined by the power dissipation. More dissipation leads to more current flow. The 1n4749 comes with a total power dissipation of 1W.
- You need to consider two parameters when you’re picking the Zener diode. One is power dissipation and the other is Zener voltage. The Zener voltage potential can be achieved when a certain higher reverse voltage is applied to the Zener diode.
- You cannot force a normal diode to conduct in both directions, doing so will result in the damage of the component and thus the entire project.
- While working with any component, it’s better to scan through the datasheet of the component that highlights the main characteristics of the device.
- Click the link below if you want to download the datasheet of 1n4749.
1N4749 PinoutThe following figure represents the pinout diagram of 1n4749.
- The 1n4749 comes with two pins, also known as terminals, called as anode and cathode. These two terminals are used for the external connection with the electrical circuit.
- The anode pin is positive and is the place from where current enters the diode and the cathode side is negative… the area from where current leaves the diode.
1N4749 FeaturesThe following are the features of 1n4749 Zener Diode.
- Regulator Current (Izm) Maximum = 0.038A
- Silicon planer power Zener diode
- Forward Voltage Drop (Vf) = 1.2V
- Total Power Dissipation (Ptot) = 1W
- Reverse Leakage Current (Ir) Maximum = 5µA
- Nominal Zener Voltage (Vz) = 24V
- Incorporated as a low current voltage regulator.
- Used in voltage stabilizing circuits.
- Used as shunt regulators.
- Used as voltage protection for Microcontrollers.
- Employed in voltage protection circuits.