Hello Everyone! Happy to see you around. In this post today, we’ll cover 2SC2240 NPN Transistor. We will also discuss 2SC2240 Datasheet, Pinout, Power Ratings, Equivalents & Applications.
Electrons are major carriers in this NPN transistor in contrast to PNP transistors where holes are the majority carriers. The 2SC2240 comes with a power dissipation of 0.3W which is the amount of energy this device dissipates during the working of this device. And the collector current is 0.1A which projects it can support load up to 0.1A.
This NPN transistor contains 3 terminal, named:
If the voltage at the base terminal is above 0.7V, it will forward biased the device and current will start flowing from collector to emitter terminal. If the base voltage is less than 0.7V, it remains reverse biased.
I recommend you buckle up as I’ll cover 2SC2240 NPN Transistor in detail.
Let’s get started.
2SC2240 NPN Transistor
- The 2SC2240 is a bipolar junction transistor that belongs to the NPN transistor family.
- This component is mainly used for switching and amplification purposes and comes in a TO-92 package.
- 2SC2240 comes with three layers where one p-doped layer stands between two n-doped layers. The two n-doped layers represent connector and emitter respectively while the p-doped layer represents the base side.
- This device contains three terminals known as the base, collector, and emitter. The base terminal is used to bias the device while the collector terminal collects the electrons coming from the base side and the emitter terminal emits the electrons into the base terminal.
- The NPN transistors contain two junctions known as collector-base junction and emitter-base junction.
- When there is enough current at the base side and the collector-base junction is reverse biased and the emitter-base junction is forward biased, then the transistor will conduct.
- When a negative voltage is applied at the emitter side and a positive voltage is available at the base terminal then we can make the emitter-base junction forward biased.
- The bipolar junction transistors are categorized into two types i.e. NPN transistors and PNP transistors. This is a bipolar transistor, which means both electrons and holes play role in the conductivity process inside the transistor.
- But electrons are major carriers in NPN transistors while in the case of PNP transistors holes are the major carriers.
- And NPN transistors are preferred over PNP transistors because the mobility of electrons is more efficient than the mobility of holes.
- These bipolar devices are called current-controlled devices in opposed to MOSFETs that are called voltage-controlled devices and carry terminals like a drain, source, and gate.
It’s wise to go through the 2SC2240 datasheet before you apply this device to your electrical project. Datasheet features the main characteristics of the device. Click the link below to download the 2SC2240 datasheet.
The following figure shows the 2SC2240 pinout.
This component contains three terminals named:
- These terminals differ in terms of size and doping concentration and are used for external connection with the electronic circuit. The emitter side is highly doped and the base side is lightly doped and the collector terminal is moderately doped.
- The collector terminal dissipates more energy compared to the other two terminals. And it is bigger in size compared to base and emitter terminals. The large surface area of the collector side guarantees more heat dissipation.
2SC2240 Working Principle
The base is responsible for the transistor action. When voltage is applied at the base terminal, it will bias the device and as a result, the current will flow from collector to emitter terminal.
As this is an NPN transistor so here current will flow from the collector to the emitter side and in the case of the PNP transistor current will flow from the emitter to the collector side.
These bipolar devices are not symmetrical in nature. This projects if we exchange the emitter and collector pins then these terminals will start working in reverse active mode and will stop working in forward active mode.
The different doping concentrations of these pins are the reason this device lack symmetry.
2SC2240 Power Ratings
The following table shows the 2SC2240 power ratings.
|Absolute Maximum Ratings of 2SC2240|
|Pin No.||Pin Description||Pin Name|
|6||Current gain||200 to 700|
|7||Operating and storage junction|
|-55 to 125C|
- If these ratings are applied more than the required time, they can affect the device reliability.
- The collector-current is 0.1A which defines the amount of load this component can support.
- The power dissipation is 0.3W which represents the amount of energy released during the working of this component.
- The current gain ranges from 200 to 700 which is the amount of current this device can amplify.
- The operating and storage junction temperature ranges from -55 to 125C.
- The emitter-base voltage is 5V represents the voltage required to bias this component. The collector-base voltage and collector-emitter voltage both are 120V.
- When using this device, make sure these ratings don’t exceed the absolute maximum ratings else they can damage the device.
The following are the 2SC2240 equivalents.
Before applying alternatives into your projects, double-check the pinout of these equivalents as the pinout of 2SC2240 might differ from the pinout of the alternatives.
The 2SA970 is a complementary PNP transistor to the 2SC2240.
The following are the 2SC2240 applications.
- Incorporated in modern electronic circuits.
- Used in Bistable and Astable multivibrators circuit.
- Used in voltage regulator circuits.
- Used in a common power amplifier.
- Used in electronic Ballasts.
- Used in energy-saving lights.
- Employed to support loads under 0.1A.
- Used in the high switching power supply.
- Used in high-frequency power transform.
2SC2240 Physical Dimensions
The following diagram shows the 2SC2240 physical dimensions.
With physical dimensions, you can evaluate the space required for this device in the electrical project.
That’s all for today. Hope you find this article helpful. Feel free to share your valuable feedback and suggestions around the content we share. They help us produce quality content based on your needs and requirements. If you’re unsure or have any questions, you can approach men in the section below. I’m happy and ready to help you the best way I can. Thank you for reading this post.