Hello everyone! I hope you all will be absolutely fine and having fun. Today I am going to given elaboration on Introduction to L293D. L 293D is basically a high current dual motor driver/controller Integrated Circuit (IC). It is able to drive load having current up to 1A at the voltage ranging from 4.5V to 36V. Motor driver usually act as current amplifier because they receive a low current signal as an input and provides high current signal at the output.
Motors usually operates on this higher current. L-293D has to builtin H-Bridge driver circuits and is able to control two DC motors at a time in both clockwise and counter clockwise direction. It has two enable pins and they should be kept high in order to control the motor. By changing the polarity of applied signal motor can be rotated in either clockwise or counter clockwise direction. If L 293D enable pin is high, its corresponding driver will provide the desired out. If the enable pin is low, there will be no output. L-293D has different features including internal ESD protection, large voltage supply range, large output current per channel, high noise immunity input etc. L 293D plays a vital role in electronics era and has several different applications e.g relay drivers, DC motor drivers, stepping motor drivers etc. The further detail about L 293D motor driver/controller will be given later in this tutorial.
Introduction to L293D
L293D is basically a motor driver or controller. It has two builtin H-bridge circuits which are able to control two DC motors simultaneously in both clockwise and counter clockwise direction. It acts as an current high amplifier because it take low current signal at its input and provides higher current signal at the output in order to drives different load e.g stepper motor & DC motors. Its features include large inpu voltage supply range, large output current high noise immunity input signals etc. Its common real life applications include stepping motor drivers, relay drivers, DC motor drivers etc. L-293D motor driver/controller is shown in the figure given below.
1. L293D Pins
- L-293D has sixteen (16) pins, having different individual functions.
- All of these sixteen pins along with their serial no, are given in the table shown below.
2. L293D Pin Functions
- L 293D each pin has different tasks to perform when they are in working condition.
- The tasks assigned to each pin are given in the table shown below.
3. L293D Pinout
- Pinout diagram of any device presents the pins configuration through a completely labelled diagram.
- L293D pinout diagram is shown in the figure given below.
4. L293D Packages
- L-293D has two types of packages and both of them are PDIP (16).
- Both of these packages along with their respective part number are given in the table shown below.
5. L293D Packages Dimensions
- L 293D each package has he same dimensions.
- L-293D packages along with their typical dimensions and SI unit are given in the table shown below.
6. L293D Logic Diagram
- A logic diagram presents an internal logic followed by an equipment.
- L293D logic diagram is shown in the figure below.
7. L293D Functional Block Diagram
- Functional diagram of a device shows the steps followed by that device in order to perform some action to give output.
- L-293D functional block diagram is shown in the figure below.
8. L293D Ratings
- Before using any equipment we must know about its ratings i.e. its power requirments that how much power will it consume.
- I have provided the current, power and voltage ratings of L 293D motor controller/driver.
- All of the ratings associated with L-293D are given in the table shown below.
9. L293D Features
L-293D has several features including:
- High output current up to 1A/channel.
- Wide voltage supply range ranging from 4.5V to 36V.
- Peak output current up to 2A/channel.
- Internal Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) protection.
- A separate input supply.
- Inputs having large noise immunity.
10. L293D Applications
L293D has a lot of applications including:
- DC motor drivers.
- Relay drivers.
- Stepper motor drivers.
- Two phase motor driver, block diagram of L 293D application for two phase motor is given in the figure shown below.
In the tutorial Introduction to L293D, I have shared all the necessary details about L 293D motor controller/driver which includes its pinout diagram, applications, features, functional and logic diagram, packages etc. Let me know if I have missed something. If you have any issues you can find each kind of help regarding your issues. Our team is always available here to help you. In my upcoming articles I will share other informative IC’s as well. Till then take care 🙂