Hello everyone! I hope you all will be absolutely fine and having fun. I am going to give you a detailed Introduction to CD4051 today. CD 4051 is an analog multiplexer and demultiplexer. It has very low OFF leakage current and low ON impedance. Over full voltage ranges, very low power is dissipated by CD-4051.
CD-4051 is an eight (8) channel multiplexer and has three control input named as A, B and C. These inputs connect only 1 out of 8 channels to the output in order to obtain the desired output. Channel I/O terminals became outputs and common O/I become input terminals when CD 4051 is used as a demultiplexer. CD-4051 has a lot of amazing features e.g. binary address decoding on chip, break before make switching eliminates channel overlapping, wide ranges of analog signals as well digital signal levels. CD-4051 can be used in signal gating, analog to digital converter, digital to analog converter, analog and digital multiplexing and demultilplexing. The further detail about CD-4051 will be provided later in this article.
Introduction to CD4051
- CD4051 is an 8 channel analog multiplexer & demultiplexer, controlled by digital signal. So, they are commonly referred as Digitally-controlled Analog Switches.
- It has low ON impedance and very low OFF leakage current. It dissipates a very low power over full VDD-VSS & VDD-VEE voltage ranges. eliminatiing channel overlapping and wide ranges of analog signals are its main feature.
- It can be used for analog to digital (A / D) as well as digital to analog (D / A) conversions.
- 16-Pin CD-4051 is shown in the figure given below.
- If you want to get indepth knowledge on any electronic component, then best thing is to read its datasheet.
- You can download CD4051 datasheet by clicking below button:
1. CD4051 Pinout
- Pinout diagram helps us to understand the pins configuration of any electronic component.
- CD 4051 pinout diagram with labels, is shown in the figure below:
- As you can in above CD4051 pinout Diagram that it has:
- 3 Input Pins.
- 8 I/O Pins.
- 3 Power Pins.
- Pin # 6 is Inhibit.
- Pin # 3 is O/I Pin.
- These CD4051 Pins are explained in depth in below sections.
- CD 4051 has sixteen pins, some of them act as input and some as output.
- All of the pins are listed in the table shown below.
CD4051 Pins Functions
- Each pin has different individual function associated with it.
- The functions followed by each of the pin are given in the table shown in the figure below.
2. CD4051 Packages
- Packages just show the different models of the same device.
- CD-4051 has 5 different packages, all are given in the table shown below.
CD4051 Packages Dimensions
- Each package has its different individual dimensions.
- All the 5 packages along with their dimensions are given in the table shown below.
3. CD4051 Features
- On the basis of features we can identify the efficiency and popularity of the device.
- Some of CD-4051 major features are listed in the table shown in the figure below.
4. CD4051 Ratings
- Power requirement of a device can be estimated by the ratings of that particular device.
- CD 4051 ratings are given in the table shown in the figure below.
5. CD4051 Applications
- CD-4051 can be used in a lot applications.
- Some of the major applications are listed in the table shown below.
The tutorial Introduction to CD4051 has explained almost each of the necessary information about the use of CD 4051 Integrated Circuit (IC). If you find something missing let us know about the particular point. We will update this article accordingly. You can ask about each kind of issues which you face. We will try our best to resolve your problems. Other information about different IC’s will be share with you guys in upcoming tutorials. Till then take care 🙂