Hey Fellas! I hope you are enjoying your life with love, care and passion. Today I’m going to give you the details on the Introduction to 1n4733a. It is a Zener Diode which works similar to normal diode with only exception, it can also conduct in reverse biased condition. Zener diodes are considered as a basic building components for many electronic circuits. I will try my best to give you the details on almost every feature of this zener diode so you don’t need to go anywhere for finding the information regarding this zener diode. Let’s get started.
Introduction to 1n4733a
- 1n4733a is a normal p-n junction diode which allows the current to flow in both directions i.e. forward direction and reverse direction.
- In other words, it conducts in both ways i.e. when it is forward biased, also when it is reverse biased.
- In order to conduct in reverse biased condition, reverse breakdown voltage must be achieved.
- Over a wide range of voltages, voltage drop across the zener diode doesn’t change which makes it ideal for using for voltage regulation purpose.
- Unlike normal diodes, zener diodes work in breakdown region and are best for generating reference voltage.
- This zener diode comes with a highly doped p-n junction and sealed glass package that gives solid protection in all common atmospheric conditions.
- It is widely used to prevent the electronic circuits from over voltage.
- 1n4733a comes with different voltage rating ranging from 3.3 V to 91 V.
- It offers double slug construction which is corrosion resistant. And the leads that come with this zener diode are easily solderable and can withstand the maximum temperature up to 230 C.
- It encompasses excellent working characteristics and have power of 1 W. The voltage tolerance appears to be 5%.
Working of 1n4733a
- Working principle of this zener diode is similar to common diode with slight difference.
- Zener diode In4733a acts like a normal diode in forward biased condition.
- It exhibits a turn on voltage that ranges between 0.3 to 0.7 V.
- It only conducts in the reverse direction when reverse voltage reaches to the breakdown voltage, allowing the current to flow from cathode to anode.
- Current reaches to maximum and stabilizes itself after a certain amount of time over a wide range of applied voltage which makes it suitable for using as a voltage stabilizer.
- Voltage breakdown occurs due to the Zener breakdown effect. It may also occur due to impact ionization. Both mechanism occur at 5.5 V., encompass same feature and don’t need different circuitry in order to work perfectly. However, temperature coefficient of both mechanisms is different. Zener effect shows negative temperature coefficient and impact ionization shows postitive temperature coefficient. Both effects cancel each other at 5.5 V, making the zener diode achieve the most stable state over a wide range of temperatures.
Zener 1n4733a used for different Purposes
Zener diodes have a wide range of application specially when it comes to voltage regulation. This zener diode comes with many specifications and applied to electrical circuits in different forms as follow.
As a Voltage Regulator
- Zener diodes are useful to regulate the voltage in many small circuits. When zener diode is connected in parallel with the voltage in reverse biased mode, it will start conduction when voltage equals to a breakdown voltage.
- In the above figure, source voltage is applied in parallel with the diode. It will perfectly decrease the output voltage from its input, while keeping the breakdown voltage constant over a wide range of source voltage. Output voltage will remain stable, even the fluctuation in source input voltage won’t effect the output voltage due to constant breakdown voltage.
- Zener diodes are also used as a wavefrom clipper when they are connected in series. Following is the figure of two zener diodes connected in series.
- When zener are connected in series, it allows the waveform to clip from both ends of the cycle i.e. positive end of the cycle and also negative end of the cycle.
- Zener diodes connected in series also prevent the high voltage spikes at the end of the output signal, allowing the reshaping of output voltage.
- Zener diode can also use for shifting the output voltage.
- When it applies as a voltage shifter, it drops down the output voltage by the quantity equal to breakdown voltage.
That’s all for today. I hope you have now got a clear idea about working principle of 1n4733a and how it is used for different purposes. However, if you have any confusion, you can ping me a message in the comment section below, I’ll be glad to help you in this regard. Your feedback and suggestions will be highly appreciated. Brace yourself for next article. Stay Blessed!