Hello Everyone! I always love to keep your stomach filled with useful information so you can excel and grow in your relevant field. Today, I am going to reveal the details on the Introduction to 1n914. It is a small signal diode that allows the current to flow in one direction and blocks the current in other direction. It features operating junction temperature of 175 ºC and forward surge current of 4A. It is widely used for industrial and power management applications. I’ll give you a brief details about this diode, so you don’t have to go anywhere else for finding the information regarding this small signal diode. Let’s get started.
Introduction to 1n914
- 1n914 is a small signal diode that is widely used in portable devices.
- It exhibits zero resistance in one direction and maximum resistance on the other direction, so current will flow in one direction only.
- This unidirectional behavior is sometimes referred as a rectification which is an ability to convert AC current to DC current.
- This diode is also termed as a electronic version of check valve.
- It is basically a polarized components which consists of two terminals called anode and cathode.
- Normally silver mark shows the cathode side of the diode.
- It will only conduct when there is some form of threshold voltage present in its forward biased mode.
- It will seize the current to flow in reverse biased mode.
- Normally diode exhibit non linear current-voltage characteristics, however these non-linear characteristics can be customized by using a specific semiconductor and doping impurities that are diffused in the diode material during the manufacturing process of diode.
- These diodes are widely used for power conversion. Rectifiers are made from diodes which convert AC current to DC current and provide better performance.
- Diodes are used to protect highly sensitive electronic devices from voltage surge. In normal conditions, these diodes are reverse biased and don’t conduct. When there is any surge of high voltage occurs, current starts to flowing and they get forward biased.
- Many integrated circuits are incorporated with these diodes which block the high voltage surge and save the sensitive transistors from damaging.
- This diode features forward surge current of 4A at pulse width 1µs.
- It shows 1A surge current at pulse width of 1s.
- Operating junction temperature of 175 C.
- Maximum repetitive reverse voltage of 100V.
- Maximum power it can dissipate is 500mW.
- Forward voltage of 1V at 10mA.
- Reverse recovery time of 4ns.
- It shows high conductance in one direction only. It blocks the current in other direction.
- This signal diode is highly reliable and come with low cost.
- Fast switching speed makes the function of this diode incredibly simple.
- Used for general purpose switching applications.
- It is AEC-Q101 qualified and highly durable.
Absolute Maximum Ratings
Following figure shows the absolute maximum rating of 1n914 small signal diode.
- It is important to note that if stresses are exceeded above absolute maximum ratings, they can damage the device.
- Similarly if stresses are applied for extended period of time, they can effect the device reliability.
- These absolute maximum ratings are the limiting values above which the diode serviceability may be affected.
- It is widely used in industrial applications.
- Power management and portable devices use this type of diode.
- It is useful for the demodulation of AM (amplitude modulated) radio signal. Actually AM signal mainly contains alternately positive and negative peaks of the carrier wave. The amplitude of these signal is directly proportional to original audio signal. Function of diode is to rectify the AM signal which ultimately leaves behind the original positive cycles of the carrier waves. Filter is used to extract the audio signal from this rectified carrier wave and then fed into the amplifier that produces sound waves.
- Diodes are incorporated with other components to make AND and OR logic gates.
- These diodes are widely used as a temperature sensing device because forward voltage drop is highly dependent on temperature.
That’s all for today. I hope you have enjoyed the article. For your convenience, I always try to give information in sorted form so you can digest the information without much effort. However, if still you feel skeptical or have any question about understanding the concept of this diode, I’d love to help you in this regard according to best of my expertise. Your suggestions and feedback will be highly appreciated. Stay Tuned!