MPU6050 is used in different industrial projects and electronic devices to control and detect 3-D motion of different objects. In today’s post we will have a look at its working, pinout,protocol, its interfacing with Ardino, features, applications, etc. I will also share some links of projects where I have interfaced it with ardino and some other microcotroller. Friends if you have any question about it, Please ask in comment box I will resolve your queries in simplest way as can possible. So lets start with basic Introduction to MPU6050.
Introduction to MPU6050
- MPU6050 is a Micro Electro-mechanical system (MEMS), it consist of three axis accelerometer and three axis gyroscope. It helps us to measure velocity, orientation, acceleration, displacement and other motion like features.
- MPU6050 consists of Digital Motion Processor (DMP), which has property to solve complex calculations.
- MPU6050 consists of 16 bit analogue to digital converter hardware. Due to this feature it captures three dimension motion at same time.
- This module has some famous features which are easily excessable, due to its easily availability it can be used with famous microcontroller like ardino. Friend if you are looking for sensor to control motion of your Drone, Self Balancing Robot, RC Cars and something like this, then MPU6050 will be a good choice for you.
- This module uses I2C module for interfacing with Ardino.
- MPU6050 is less expensive, Its main feature is that it can easily combine with accelerometer and gyro.
Now, Lets discus PINOUT of MPU6050.
MPU6050 PINOUT & Description
There are main eight PINOUT of MPU6050, which are describe here:
|01||Vcc||This pin used for Supply Voltage. Its input voltage are +3 to +5V.|
|02||GND||This pin use for ground|
|03||SCL||This pin is used for clock pulse for I2C compunction|
|04||SDA||This pin is used for transferring of data through I2C communication.|
|05||Auxiliary Serial Data (XDA)||It can be used for other interfaced other I2C module with MPU6050.|
|06||Auxiliary Serial Clock (XCL)||It can also be used for other interfaced other I2C module with MPU6050.|
|07||AD0||If more than one MPU6050 is used a single MCU, then this pin can be used to vary the address.|
|08||interrupt (int)||This pin is used for indicate that data is available for MCU to read.|
Now lets discus features of MPU6050.
Features of MPU6050
These are some features of MPU6050.
- MPU6050 is world’s first integrated six motion tracking device
- The communication protocol at which it operate is I2C.
- It is built in 16 BIT ADC, which provide high accuracy.
- Its operating voltage are 3 to 5 volts.
- It consists of digital motion processor,which provide high computational power.
- It is inbuilt in temperate sensor.
- It can be used to interfaces with IIC devices like magnetometer.
- The pitch of its pins is 0.1 inch.
- Its Acceleration Range is +/-2g, +/-4g, +/-8g, +/-16g.
- Its Dimensions (excluding pins) are, 21.2mm (0.84″) length x 16.4mm (0.65″) width x 3.3mm (0.13″) height.
- Its weight is 2.1g.
- It has smallest and thinnest QFN package for portable devices, 4x4x0.9 mm.
- Its operating current is 3.9 mA when, its six motion sensing axes and DMP are in motion.
- It also has gyroscope feature like, its Gyroscope operating current is 3.6 mA.
- Its gyroscopic stand by current is 5µA. It also has low improved frequency noise performance.
- It works at Gyroscope range, ± 250 500 1000 2000 °/ s.
Now lets discus I2C protocol on which it operate.
As we earlier discus that MPU6050 works on I2C protocol, now discuss this protocol.
- MPU6050 was first introduced by the Philips semiconductors in 1982. For sending and receiving data between two or more devices we need a path which called BUS. I2C is bidirectional two wire bus which use to send data between integrated circuits.
- I2C consist of three data transfer speed which are, standard, fast-mode and high-speed mode. I2C sports 7 bit and 10 bit address devices.
- I2C is a best choice where simplicity and low manufacturing cost are more important then speed.
- For better understanding how I2C protocol works, lets see is picture.
MPU6050 Ardino Interfacing
Now lets have a look at MPU6050 Ardino interfacing.
- In given diagram we have showed its interfacing with Ardino, the value which we can by using this module are given below The following data values can be obtained using this example.
- Quaternion Components (w, x, y, z), Euler angles, Yaw, Pitch, Real world Acceleration, Roll,World frame acceleration and Teapot invent sense Values.
Applications of MPU6050
- It is used for IMU measurement.
- It can be used in Drones / Quad copters as direction controller.
- It used in Self balancing robots.
- It can use as Robotic arm controls.
- It can be used in Humanoid robots
- It used in Tilt sensor.
- It can be used orientation or Rotation Detector.
- It can be in Handset and portable gaming
- It used inMotion-based game controllers
- It used in 3D remote controls for Internet connected DTVs and set top boxes, 3D mice
Friend, that was about MPU6050, If you something else kindly ask in a comment box.I will further guide you in next tutorial.Till than take care…..