Introduction to BME280
- BME280 is a digital pressure, humidity and temperature sensor. This module consists of extremely compact metal-lid LGA packages.
- This module provides individually high linearity, high accuracy sensors for humidity, temperature, and pressure in an 8-pin metal-lid 2.5 x 2.5 x 0.93 mm³ LGA package.
- It is designed for low current consumption (3.6 μA), long term stability and high EMC robustness.
- This module is register and performance compatible with a Bosch Sensortec BMP280 digital pressure sensor.
- As it provides high performance in its applications like humidity and pressure measurement, due to this feature it used in emerging applications such as home automation, indoor navigation, health care, GPS and a low TCO.
- Its humidity sensing part provides a fast response time for fast context awareness applications and high accuracy over a wide temperature range.
- It pressure sensing part is absolute barometric pressure sensor having high accuracy, resolution and drastically lower noise than the Bosch Sensortec BMP280.
- Its temperature sensing part has been optimized for lowest noise and high resolution.
- This sensor is available in both I2C and SPI interfaces and it can be supplied with 1.71 to 3.6 V for sensor supply Vdd and 1.2 to 3.6 V for the interface supply Vddio.
- We can be triggered its measurements in regulars intervals. Whenever the sensor is disabled, current consumption drops to 0.1µA.
- It supports a full suite of operating mode which optimize the device for power consumption, filter performance, and resolution.
- There is ten main pinout of BME280, which are described below with detail description.For better understanding let's see the pinout diagram.
Pin# Type Parameters Pin#1 GND This pin is used for ground. Pin#2 3.3V At this pin, we supply voltage to the chip. Voltage should be regulated between 1.8 V and 3.6 V. Pin#3 SDA This pin is used for I2C Serial data transmission (bi-directional). Pin#4 SCL This pin is used for I2C serial clock. Pin#5 GND This pin is used for ground. Pin#6 3.3V This is a supply voltage to the chip. Voltage should be regulated between 1.8 V and 3.6 V. Pin#7 SCK This pin is used for clock line, 3.6 V max. Pin#8 SDO This pin is used for data coming out of the BME280. Pin#9 SDI This pin is for data going into the BME280, 3.6 V max. Pin#10 CS This is Active low chip select, 3.6 V max
Features of BME280
- These are the feature of BME280, which are described below.
- It is available in metal lid LGA package with dimensions of 2.5x 2.5x 0.93 mm³.
- Its Interface protocol is I²C and SPI.
- It Supply Voltage is 1.71 to 3.6 V.
- Its temperature range is -40 to +85°C.
- Its humidity range is 0-100% real. humidity.
- Its pressure range is 300-1100 hPa.
- Humidity sensor and pressure sensor can be independently enabled/disabled.
- This module is Register and performance compatible with Bosch Sensortec BMP280 digital pressure sensor.
- This module is RoHS compliant, halogen-free, MSL1.
- It gets more precise temperature, atmospheric pressure values, humidity, and approximate altitude data fast.
- It is Grove compatible and easy to use.
- It has a highly abstracted library for building projects quicker.
BME280 Arduino Interfacing
- In the next few lines, we are going to explain An Arduino Weather Station project with the BME280 sensor.
- We discuss which components are used in this project.
- Project Component
Now we discuss this project assembling and working.
In this tutorial, we are using Arduino Mega but Arduino UNO can also be used.
- First, we connect LCD to Arduino. After this, we connect the Vin pin of a sensor with the Arduino 5v output pin. Next, we connect GND pin of a sensor to the SCL pin of Arduino and SDA pin of a sensor to the SDA pin of Arduino.
Application of BME280
- This module is Context awareness, due to this feature it is used for skin detection, room change detection.
- It is used for Health monitoring/well-being.
- It is used for Warning regarding dehydration or heat stroke.
- It is used for Measurement of lung volume and air flow.
- It is used in Home automation control.
- It is used for Control heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC).
- Internet of things.
- It can be used for GPS enhancement (e.g. time-to-first-fix improvement, dead reckoning, slope detection).
- It is used for Indoor navigation (change of floor detection, elevator detection).
- It is used for Outdoor navigation, leisure, and sports applications
- It also tells Weather forecast.
- It is used for Vertical velocity indication (rise/sink speed).