The invention of LCD gives new life to electronic industries and replaces lED and gas plasma techniques. It also replaces the CTR (cathode ray) tube that used for visual display. The input power consumed by the liquid crystal display is less then light-emitting diode and plasma display. In today’s post, we will have look at 20 x 4 LCD, its features, working, applications, and practical implementation in different electronic devices. So let’s get started with the Introduction to 20×4 LCD Module.
Introduction to 20 x 4 LCD Module
- In a 20×4 LCD module, there are four rows in display and in one row twenty character can be displayed and in one display eighty characters can be shown.
- This liquid crystal module uses HDD44780 (It is a controller used to display monochrome text displays) parallel interfacing.
- The liquid crystal display interfacing code is easily accessible. We just required eleven input and output pinouts for the interfacing of the LCD screen.
- The input supply for this module is three volts or five volts, with that module other components like PIC, Raspberry PI, Arduino.
- Thie electronic device can be used in different embedded systems, industries, medical devices, and portable devices like mobile, watches, laptops.
- Liquid crystal display works on two types of the signal first one is data and the second one is for control.
- The existence of these signals can be identified through the on and off condition of RS pinout. Data can be read by pushing the Read/write pinout.
20×4 LCD Pinout
- These are some pinouts of 20×4 LCD modules that are described here with the detailed.
|Pin No:||Pin Name:||Parameters|
|Pin#1||It denoted as Vss||It is ground pinout potential at this pinout is zero.|
|Pin#2||It denoted as Vdd||At this pinout, five volts are provided.|
|Pin#3||This pinout denoted as Vo||This pinout is used to set the contrast of the screen.|
|Pin#4||This pin denoted as RS||It used to H/L register select signal.|
|Pin#5||It denoted as R/W||It used for H/L read/write signal.|
|Pin#6||This pinout denoted as E||It used for H/L enable signal.|
|Pin#7-14||The pinouts from seven to fourteen denoted as DB0 – DB7.||It used for H/L data bus for 4 bit or 8-bit mode.|
|Pin#15||It identified as A (LED+)||It used to set backlight anode.|
|Pin#16||It recognized as K (LED-).||It used to set backlight cathode.|
Features of 20 x 4 LCD
- These are some features of 20 x 4 LCD modules that are described here with the detailed.
- The most important feature of this module is that it can display 80 characters at a time.
- The cursor of this module has 5×8 (40) dots.
- On this module already assembled the controller of RW1063.
- This module operates on the plus five volts input supply and can also work on the plus three volts.
- The plus three volts pinout can also be used for the negative supply.
- The duty cycle of this module is one by sixteen (1/16).
- The light-emitting diode of this module can get supply from the pinout one, pinout two, pinout fifteen, pinout sixteen, or pinout A and K.
Electrical Characteristics of 20 x 4 LCD
- These are some pinouts of 20 x 4 LCD modules that are described here with the detailed.
|Input Voltage||It denoted as VDD||The value of VDD is plus five volts.|
|Supply Current||It denoted as IDD||Its value is ten milliamperes.|
Voltage for Normal Temperature
|Its symbol is VDD to V0.||Its value is 5.2 volts|
|LED Forward Voltage||It is denoted as VF.||Its value is 4.3V|
|LED Forward Current||It denoted as IF.||Its value is 4.6V.|
|EL Supply Current||This pinout denoted as EL||VEL = 110 VAC, and four hundred frequency.|
Absolute Maximum Ratings
- Now we discuss the maximum ratings of 20 x 4 LCD.
|Working temperature||It denoted as Top||Its value is zero to a plus fifty-celsius degree.|
|Storage Temperature||It denoted as Tst.||Its value minus twenty Celsius to plus seventy celsius.|
|Supply Voltage for Logic||It denoted as Vi.||Its minimum value Vss and the maximum value is equal to Vdd volts.|
|Supply Voltage for liquid crystal display||It denoted as Vdd or Vss.||Its value is three volts to thirteen volts.|
Advantages of 20 x 4 LCD
- These are some advantages of this module that are described with the detailed.
- It is less expensive, lightweight as compared to the cathode ray tube display.
- It uses less power according to the brightness resolution.
- It produces less amount of heat due to less use of power.
- In this module, there is no geometric distortion.
- It can be constructed in any shape and size according to user requirements.
- The LCD used in the computer monitor uses twelve volts.
Disadvantages of 20 x 4 LCD
- With the advantages of this module, there are some problems created by this module that is described here.
- In some older LCD modules, there are some issues due to view angle and brightness.
- It losses brightness and operates at less response time with the increment of temperature.
- With the increment of the surrounding temperature, its contrast also disturbs.
It is the detailed tutorial on the 20×4 LCD module I have mentioned each and everything related to this Liquid crystal display. If you have any question about it ask in comments. Thanks for reading.