Hello friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will have a look at the Introduction to 20x4 LCD Module. The LCD stands for liquid crystal display, which works on the light modulation features of liquid crystals. It is available in electronic visible display, video display and flat panel display. There are numerous categories and features are exist in markets of LCD and you can see it on your mobile, laptop, computer and television screen.
The invention of LCD gives new life to electronic industries and replaces lED and gas plasma techniques. It also replaces the CTR (cathode ray) tube that is used for visual display. The input power consumed by the liquid crystal display is less than the light-emitting diode and plasma display. In today's post, we will have a look at 20 x 4 LCD, its features, working, applications, and practical implementation in different electronic devices. So let's get started with the Introduction to 20x4 LCD Module.
Introduction to 20 x 4 LCD Module
- In a 20x4 LCD module, there are four rows in display and in one row twenty characters can be displayed and in one display eighty characters can be shown.
- This liquid crystal module uses HDD44780 (It is a controller used to display monochrome text displays) parallel interfacing.
- The liquid crystal display interfacing code is easily accessible. We just required eleven input and output pinouts for the interfacing of the LCD screen.
- The input supply for this module is three volts or five volts, with that module other components like PIC, Raspberry PI, Arduino.
- Thie electronic device can be used in different embedded systems, industries, medical devices, and portable devices like mobile, watches, laptops.
- Liquid crystal display works on two types of the signal first one is data and the second one is for control.
- The existence of these signals can be identified through the on and off condition of RS pinout. Data can be read by pushing the Read/write pinout.
20x4 LCD Pinout
- These are some pinouts of 20x4 LCD modules that are described here in detail.
|It is denoted as Vss
|It is ground pinout potential at this pinout is zero.
|It is denoted as Vdd
|At this pinout, five volts are provided.
|This pinout denoted as Vo
|This pinout is used to set the contrast of the screen.
|This pin denoted as RS
|It is used to H/L register select signal.
|It is denoted as R/W
|It is used for H/L read/write signal.
|This pinout denoted as E
|It is used for H/L enable signal.
|The pinouts from seven to fourteen are denoted as DB0 – DB7.
|It is used for H/L data bus for 4-bit or 8-bit mode.
|It identified as A (LED+)
|It is used to set the backlight anode.
|It is recognized as K (LED-).
|It is used to set the backlight cathode.
Features of 20 x 4 LCD
- These are some features of 20 x 4 LCD modules that are described here in detail.
- The most important feature of this module is that it can display 80 characters at a time.
- The cursor of this module has 5x8 (40) dots.
- This module already assembled the controller of RW1063.
- This module operates on the plus five volts input supply and can also work on the plus three volts.
- The plus 3-volt pinout can also be used for the negative supply.
- The duty cycle of this module is one by sixteen (1/16).
- The light-emitting diode of this module can get supply from the pinout one, pinout two, pinout fifteen, pinout sixteen, or pinout A and K.
Electrical Characteristics of 20 x 4 LCD
- These are some pinouts of 20 x 4 LCD modules that are described here in detail.
|It is denoted as VDD
|The value of VDD is plus five volts.
|It denoted as IDD
|Its value is ten milliamperes.
|LC Driving Voltage for Normal Temperature Version Module
|Its symbol is VDD to V0.
|Its value is 5.2 volts
|LED Forward Voltage
|It is denoted as VF.
|Its value is 4.3V
|LED Forward Current
|It is denoted as IF.
|Its value is 4.6V.
|EL Supply Current
|This pinout denoted as EL
|VEL = 110 VAC, and four hundred frequency.
Absolute Maximum Ratings
- Now we discuss the maximum ratings of 20 x 4 LCD.
|It is denoted as Top
|Its value is zero to a plus fifty-celsius degree.
|It is denoted as Tst.
|Its value is minus twenty Celsius to plus seventy Celsius.
|Supply Voltage for Logic
|It is denoted as Vi.
|Its minimum value is Vss and the maximum value is equal to Vdd volts.
|Supply Voltage for liquid crystal display
|It is denoted as Vdd or Vss.
|Its value is three volts to thirteen volts.
Advantages of 20 x 4 LCD
- These are some advantages of this module that are described in detail.
- It is less expensive, and lightweight as compared to the cathode ray tube display.
- It uses less power according to the brightness resolution.
- It produces less amount of heat due to less use of power.
- In this module, there is no geometric distortion.
- It can be constructed in any shape and size according to user requirements.
- The LCD used in the computer monitor uses twelve volts.
Disadvantages of 20 x 4 LCD
- Despite the advantages of this module, there are some problems created by this module that are described here.
- In some older LCD modules, there are some issues due to view angle and brightness.
- It loses brightness and operates at less response time with the increment of temperature.
- With the increment of the surrounding temperature, its contrast also disturbs.
It is a detailed tutorial on the 20x4 LCD module I have mentioned everything related to this Liquid crystal display. If you have any questions about it ask in the comments. Thanks for reading.