Hey Guys! Hope you’re well today. Happy to see you around. In this post today, I’ll detail the Introduction to 1n4734a.The 1n4734a is a Zener diode used as a low current voltage regulator. It is composed of silicon material and is employed as a shunt regulator in many applications. This Zener diode conducts the current in both directions in contrast to a normal diode that conducts in one direction only i.e. conducts in forward biased condition only.I suggest you read this post all the way through, as I’ll be discussing the datasheet, pinout, features, and applications of 1n4734a.Let’s jump right in.
Introduction to 1n4734A
- The 1n4734a is a Zener diode used in clipping circuits with high power rating.
- It comes in the DO-41 package and is used as a low current voltage regulator in many applications.
- This Zener diode is composed of semiconductor material and is employed in voltage protection circuits.
- The current flows from the anode terminal to the cathode terminal in the normal diode in forward biased condition. While in the case of Zener diode, current conducts in both conditions i.e. reverse biased condition and forward biased condition.
- We cannot force a normal diode to conduct in both directions, if we do so, it will damage the component.
- The Zener diode is considered as a building block of modern electronics and is manufactured by plenty of different voltages.
- Two parameters are important to consider while selecting the Zener diode. The power Zener voltage and power dissipation. The Zener voltage is obtained when a higher reverse voltage potential is applied to the Zener diode.
- Inside the Zener diode, the amount of current flow is evaluated by the power dissipation. More dissipation means more current flow. Power dissipation in this 1n4734a Zener diode is 1300mW.
- Zener diodes are used to produce low-power supply rails with the use of higher voltages. For electrical circuits, reference voltages are also generated by these Zener diodes.
- In circuits where there is a possibility of the damage of the circuit due to high voltage, these Zener diodes are employed there to keep circuits from overvoltage.
- Some Zener diodes undergo a Zener effect or Clarence Zener where it experiences highly doped and sharp p-n junction and in this case reverse conduction inside the Zener diode is performed by the electronic quantum tunneling which is known as Zener effect.
1n4734A DatasheetBefore you incorporate this device into your project, it’s better to go through the datasheet of the component that covers the main characteristics of the device. Click the link below, if you want to download the datasheet of 1n4734a.
1n4734A PinoutThe following figure shows the pinout diagram of 1n4734a.
- The 1n4734a contains two terminals named anode and cathode.
- The anode terminal is positive and the current enters the diode through this anode terminal while the cathode terminal is negative and the current leaves the diode through this terminal.
- The current flows in both conditions in this case of Zener diode i.e. forward biased condition and reverse biased condition.
1n4734A FeaturesThe following are the features of the 1n4743a Zener diode.
- Package = DO-41
- Used as shunt regulators.
- Power dissipation (PZ) = 1300mW
- Zener Voltage (VZ) = 5.6V
- Zener regulator current (Izm) = 162mA
- Used in voltage stabilizing circuits.
- Employed for clipping circuits with high power rating.
- Employed as voltage protection for Microcontrollers.
- Used as a low current voltage regulator.
- Employed in voltage protection circuits.