Hello Friends! Happy to see you around. I welcome you on board. In this post today, I’ll walk you through the Introduction to 1n4742.The 1n4742 is a Zener diode used for clipping circuits with high power rating. It is made up of silicon material and comes in the DO-41 package. The Zener diode conducts in both directions i.e. forward-biased condition and reverse-biased condition.Read this post till the end as I’ll be discussing the datasheet, pinout, features, and applications of 1n4742.Let’s get started.
Introduction to 1N4742
- The 1n4742 is a Zener diode that comes in the DO-41 package. It is made up of semiconductor material and is mainly used for clipping circuits with high power ratings.
- There is a difference between a diode and a Zener diode. The simple diode conducts in one direction only i.e. forward biased condition. The current flows from the anode terminal to the cathode terminal.
- Zener diode conducts in both conditions i.e. forward biased condition and reverse biased condition.
- If we force a normal diode to conduct in both directions, it will result in the damage of the component.
- The Zener diode is constructed by plenty of different voltages and is considered as a building block of modern electronics.
- Some Zener diodes carry highly doped and sharp p-n junction where reverse conduction is carried out by the electronic quantum tunneling process also known as Clarence Zener or Zener effect.
- Zener diodes are employed to produce low-power supply rails using higher voltages. They are also used to generate reference voltages for the electrical circuits.
- Zener diodes are also incorporated to keep circuits from overvoltage.
- You need to consider two parameters while selecting the Zener diode. The power dissipation and Zener voltage. The Zener voltage potential is achieved when a certain higher reverse voltage is applied to the Zener diode.
- The amount of current flow inside the Zener diode is demonstrated by the power dissipation. More dissipation results in more current flow. Power dissipation is 1W in this 1n4742 Zener diode.
- The Zener resistor is also employed in the electrical circuits along with the Zener diode that mainly works to limit the current flowing through the diode and the load connected to the Zener diode.
- The Zener resistor prevents the Zener diode from high current. In the absence of this resistor, the Zener diode would damage due to the high current passing through the diode.
1N4742 DatasheetWhile working with any component, it’s always wise to go through the datasheet of the component that details the main characteristics of the device. If you want to download the datasheet of 1n4742, click the link below.
1N4742 PinoutThe following figure shows the pinout diagram of 1n4742.
- The 1n4742 comes with two terminals known as anode and cathode. The anode terminal is positive while the cathode terminal is negative.
- The current can flow in both conditions i.e. forward biased condition and reverse biased condition. The anode is the terminal from where the current enters the diode and the cathode terminal is the area from where the current exits the diode.
1N4742 FeaturesThe following are the features of 1n4742 Zener Diode.
- Silicon planer power Zener diode
- Forward Voltage Drop (Vf) = 1.2V
- Voltage tolerance = +-10%
- Regulator Current (Izm) Maximum = 0.076A
- Nominal Zener Voltage (Vz) = 12V
- Total Power Dissipation (Ptot) = 1W
- Reverse Leakage Current (Ir) Maximum = 5µA
- Used for clipping circuits with high power rating.
- Incorporated in voltage stabilizing circuits.
- Employed as a low current voltage regulator.
- Used in voltage protection circuits.
- Employed as shunt regulators.
- Used as voltage protection for Microcontrollers.