Hello everyone! I hope you all will be absolutely fine and having fun. Today, I am going to give you an Introduction to LM741. It belongs to the series of general purpose amplifiers. It supports larger range of input voltages. LM741 provides high gain and short circuit protection as well. Its pins configuration is very similar to UA709 and there is no need of frequency compression in LM 741.
LM741 can be used as a comparator in order to determine the levels of applied input voltages i.e. either smaller or larger input voltages are applied at its input terminal. LM741 is an op-amp IC having 8 different pins, which will be explained later in this tutorial. LM-741 has a very wide range of applications e.g. function generator, comparator, DC amplifiers, integrator, differentiator, active filters, summing amplifiers, multivibrators.
Introduction to LM741
- LM741 is an operational amplifier having eight (8) pins in total.
- It belongs to the series of general purpose operational amplifiers (op-amp).
- It is capable of providing high gain and can support higher voltages at its input.
- It has a lot of applications in real life i.e. integrator, function generators, multi-vibrators, active filters, amplifiers etc.
1. LM741 Pinout
- LM 741 has eight (8) pins in total.
- All of the pins are provided along with their name and functionalities in the table given below:
|Pin No.||Pin Name||Pin Type||Description|
|1||Offset null||Input||Balance Input Voltage & Eliminate Offset Voltage|
|2||Inverting Input||Input||Invert Input Voltage|
|3||Non Inverting Input||Input||Non-Inverting Input Voltage|
|4||-Vcc||Input||Negative Voltage Supply|
|5||Offset null||Input||Balance Input Voltage & Eliminate Offset Voltage|
|6||Output||Output||Amplified Signal Output|
|7||+Vcc||Input||Positive Voltage Supply|
|8||Not Connected (NC)||Neither||It’s not connected.|
- From the above table we can see that the pin 1 and pin 5 has similar function.
- Whereas the pin number 4 and 7 are Vcc pins and output can be obtained from the pin number 6.
- Let’s have a detailed overview of its pins in below figure:
- I have labelled all the pins of LM741 in above figure.
2. LM741 Specifications
- The voltage and power ratings of LM 741 are given in table shown below.
- Operating temperature as well as storage temperature are also provided along with their values and SI units.
|1||Voltage supply (V)||+- 20||V|
|2||Power Dissipation (Pd)||500||mW|
|3||Input Voltage (Iin)||+-15||V|
|4||Operating Temperature (To)||-50 to +150||C|
|5||Differential Input Voltage (Vd)||30||V|
|6||Storage Temperature (Tstg)||-65 to 150||C|
|7||Junction Temperature (Tj)||150||C|
LM741 Symbolic Representation
- LM741 symbolic representation (operational amplifier) is shown in the figure below.
- You can see in below figure that the inverting terminal of op-amp is connected with Pin # 2 while the non-inverting terminal is connected with Pin # 3.
- Now we can take the output from Pin # 6 of LM741.
LM 741 has a very wide range of applications in real life, a few of which are given below.
- It can be used as different integrator.
- We can also use it as differential operational amplifiers.
- It can also be used as function generators.
- Sometimes we can use it as comparator to compare voltage levels.
- LM 741 can be used as active filters as well as summing amplifier.
- One of its major application is to use it as offset null circuit, as shown in the figure below.
LM741 Proteus Simulation
- I have made a Proteus ISIS simulation using LM 741.
- The screen shot of the Proteus simulation is shown in the figure below.
- Now let’s run this LM 741 Proteus Simulation and if everything goes fine then you will get results as shown in below figure:
- As you can see in the above figure that LM 741 is amplifying the input signal.
- The input signal in above figure is of 50mV and as we change the variable resistance on inverting terminal of op-amp, the amplitude of input signal increases or decreases accordingly.
- You can download this simulation by clicking the below button:
So, that is all from the tutorial the Introduction to LM741. I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial. If have any sort of problems, you can ask me in comments anytime you want, without even feeling any kind of hesitation. I will try my level best to solve your issues. Our team is also 24/7 here to entertain you. I will explore other IC’s and equipment in my upcoming tutorials. So, till then, take care 🙂