Hello everyone! I hope you all will be absolutely and having fun. Today, I am going to give a detailed discussion on Introduction to LM117. Lm 117 is basically a voltage regulator. It is most commonly known as positive (+ve) voltage regulator used to regulate the voltage up to the desired positive level. Lm-117 can regulate the voltage ranging from 12.5V to 37V and provides the current around 1.5A. LM 117 has three (3) pins and is quite easy to use.
To obtain the desired output voltage we need to connect the two external resistors. There are three types of regulations in LM-117 i.e. line regulation, fixed regulation and load regulation. The line regulation & load regulation both are far better than fixed regulation. LM 117 provides overload protection e.g. over current protection, thermal load protection etc. When Adjust terminal is not enable even then LM 117 provides all of these protections. We can improve its transient response by adding an external capacitor at output terminal. High ripples can be rejected through bypassing the adjustment terminal. LM-117 can also be used as a precise current regulator, if we add an external constant resistor between its output terminal and the adjustment terminal. LM 117 has a lot of features including short circuit protection, wide temperature range, ripplerejection up to 80dB. Its real lide applications are battery chargers, constant current regulators, automatic LED lightning etc. The further detail about LM 1117 will be given later in this tutorial.
Introduction to LM117
LM117 is a voltage regulator. It is able to regulate the voltages at the output ranging between 12.5 to 37V and provides the 1.5A ofoutput current. By connecting the two external resistors, it provides the desired output, so it is very easy to use it. LM 117 provides different types of itself security e.g. short circuit protection, thermal load protection. It can be used in battery chargers, LED lightning, current regulators etc. LM-1117 is shown in the figure given below.
1. LM117 Pins
- LM 117 has three (3) different pins, vout, vin and adjust.
- These three pins are given in the table shown below.
2. LM117 Pins Description
- Each pins has its own separate function or importance.
- So the functions of each of three (3) pins are given in the table shown below.
3. LM117 Pinout
- In order to understand the pin configuration of any device we must see its pinout diagram.
- LM 117 pinout diagram is shown in the figure below.
4. LM117 Packages
- LM 117 has two different packages i.e. TO (3) and TO-3 (2).
- Both of these packages are given in the table shown below.
5. LM117 Packages Dimensions
- Each package is available in different size in order to identify the newer one.
- The dimensions of Lm-117 packages are shown in the table given below.
6. LM117 Features
- Any Integrated Circuit (IC) or a device can be recognized from its features for a particular purpose.
- LM-117 major and normal features are given in the table shown below.
7. LM117 Ratings
- Ratings of a device presents the amount of voltage, current and power for its operation under normal circumstances.
- LM-117 rating are given in the table shown below.
8. LM117 Applications
- Applications and features are such characteristics of any device which make a particular device different from all other devices.
- LM-117 has a lot real life applications, a few of them are give below.
- The circuit design for LM-117’s typical application is shown in the figure given below.
Here is the detailed discussion about Introduction to LM117. Almost everything about LM 117 has been covered in this article. Let our team know, if there is something missing. If you have any problem, you can ask us in comments anytime. Our team is always here to help you. I will explain information further about different IC’s in my upcoming tutorials. So, till then take cae 🙂