Hello everyone! I hope you all will be absolutely fine and having fun. Today, I am going to share my knowledge about Introduction to PIC12C508. PIC 12C-508 belongs to the family of high performance and cost effective micro controllers. It is a fully static eight (8) bit device. PIC 12C 508 micro controller is Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) which is based on EEPROM, EPROM and ROM.
PIC 12C-508 Microcontroller has Reduced Instruction Set Computing (RISC) having thirty three (33) instructions based on single words. Except program branches all of the instructions are single cycled i.e. 1 millisecond. Whereas two cycles are taken by the program branches. PIC 12C 508 has a lot amazing features e.g. eight (8) bit real time clock, power on reset, wake-up from sleep on pin change, device reset timer, select able oscillator options, power saving sleep mode etc. Its applications may include security systems, small foot print, personal appliances etc. Further detail about PIC 12C-508 will be given later in this tutorial.
Introduction to PIC12C508
PIC 12C508 is a low cost and high performance PIC Microcontroller. Its an 8 bit device based on EEPROM and EPROM CMOS as explained above. Its has reduced RISC with all information having 33 single words except program branches. Program branches take two (2) cycles. PIC 12C 508 is shown in the figure below.
1. PIC12C508 Pins
- PIC 12C 508 has eight (8) pins, four (4) on the right side and other four (4) on the left side of the IC.
- Pins are different in different PIC Microcontrollers like PIC16F877a Microcontroller has 40 Pins.
- All of the eight pins are given along with their number, in the table shown below.
2. PIC12C508 Pins Description
- Each pin has different features associated with it.
- The description of each pin is given in the table shown below.
3. PIC12C508 Pinout
- Pinout diagram basically shows the initial necessary information about any device e.g. pins information.
- PIC 12C508 pinout diagram along with animation and symbolic representation is shown in the figure below.
4. PIC 12C508 Block Diagram
- The block diagram of an equipment shows its proper step by step working, that how the device works sequentially.
- PIC 12C508 block diagram is shown in the figure below.
5. PIC 12C508 Characteristics
- Characteristics may include operating speed, EPROM program, RAM data, ROM data etc.
- PIC 12C 508 characteristics are given in the table shown below.
6. PIC 12C508 Stack and Program Memory
- Program memory and stack presents the flow of programming.
- PIC 12C 508 is shown in the figure below.
7. PIC 12C508 Clock Cycle
- Clock input is divided into four parts internally in order to generate four non overlapping clocks named as sQ2, Q3 and Q4.
- All of these clocks are shown in the figure given below.
8. PIC 12C508 Features
PIC-12C508 has a lot of features, a few of which are given below.
- Power on reset.
- Device reset timer.
- More than 40 years of EEPROM data retention.
- Wake-up on sleep while changing the pin.
- Internal weak pull-ups on input/output puns.
- Programmable protection of code.
- Select able oscillator options.
9. PIC 12C508 Applications
PIC 12C508 has several different real life applications e.g.
- Security systems.
- Personal care appliances.
- Low power remote transmitters.
- Low power remote receivers.
- .Small foot print packages.
That was the detailed discussion about Introduction to PIC 12C508. I tried to cover all the important details about PIC 12C508. Let me know if have missed any point. If you have any problems you can freely ask me in comments anytime. Me and my team is 24/7 available here to entertain you. Further IC’s will be explained in the upcoming tutorials. Till then, take care 🙂