Hi Guys! Hope you are doing well. We are here to keep you updated with valuable information related to engineering and technology. Today, I will unlock the details on the Introduction to PIC16F690.
It is a 20-pin Flash-based PIC microcontroller
that comes with high-performance RISC CPU and mainly used in automation and embedded systems.If high processing speed and memory space is anything to go by, this PIC module has already made a renowned place in the market where it can handle electronic projects pretty well. If you are a newbie or an expert, you can start working on the PIC module with little or no prior knowledge.In this post, I'll cover everything related to PIC16F690, its pinout, pin description, main features, block diagram, memory layout, and applications. Let's dive in and explore everything you need to know.
Introduction to PIC16F690
- PIC16F690 is an 8-bit PIC microcontroller, developed by Microchip, that comes with 20-pin interface.
- High-performance RISC CPU is incorporated on the board that helps in executing the instructions with a decent pace.
- Crystal oscillator up to 20 MHz can be interfaced with the board that creates the clock pulses.
- Operating voltage is identical to other controllers in the PIC community and ranges from 2 to 5.5 V. Program memory and RAM memory is 7K and 256 bytes respectively. EEPROM also comes with memory space around 256 bytes.
- Other features that make this device compatible with a wide number of external components include I2C, SPI, and USART communications.
- ADC module is very useful to convert analog values to digital ones and play a vital role for sensor interfacing.
- PIC16F690 comes with two different packages called PDIP and QFP where both contain 20-pins onboard.
PIC16F690 Pinout and Description
You have got a brief overview of this controller. In this section, we uncover the pinout and pin details, so you get a clear idea about the function of each pin.
Following figure shows the pinout of PIC16F690.
- Both PIC packages are very helpful for project development where PDIP is mainly used for individual projects and QFN is incorporated in the industrial electronic devices.
Following figure shows the complete pin description of each pin that will highlight the main functions each pin capable of doing.
|Pin#||Pin Name||Pin Description|
|19||RA0AN0/ULPWUC1IN+IOCICSPDAT||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 0ComparatorInterruptBasic|
|RA1AN1/VREF+C12IN0-IOCICSPCLK||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 1ComparatorInterruptBasic|
|RA2AN2C1OUTT0CKIIOC||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 2ComparatorTimerInterrupt|
|4||RA3IOCMCLRVPP||Digital I/O PinInterruptMaster Clear ResetProgramming Voltage Input|
|3||RA4AN3T1GIOCOSC2/CLKOUT||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 3TimerInterruptOscillator Output|
|2||RA5T1CKIIOCOSC1/CLKIN||Digital I/O PinTimerInterruptOscillator Input|
|13||RB4AN10SDI/SDAIOC||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 10SSPInterrupt|
|12||RB5AN11RX/DTIOC||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 11Serial Receive PinInterrupt|
|11||RB6SCL/SCKIOC||Digital I/O PinSSPInterrupt|
|10||RB7TX/CKIOC||Digital I/O PinSerial Transmit PinInterrupt|
|16||RC0AN4C2IN+||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 4Comparator|
|15||RC1AN5C12IN1-||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 5Comparator|
|14||RC2AN6C12IN2-P1D||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 6ComparatorECCP|
|7||RC3AN7C12IN3-P1C||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 7ComparatorECCP|
|6||RC4C2OUTP1B||Digital I/O PinComparatorECCP|
|5||RC5CCP1P1A||Digital I/O PinECCP|
|8||RC6AN8||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 8|
|9|| RC7AN9||Digital I/O PinAnalog Channel 9|
|1||VDD||Voltage Supply Pin|
2. PIC16F690 Features
In this section, we discuss the main features of PIC16F690 so you get a hold of this chip before you make a final decision to install it in the relevant project.Following table shows the complete features of PIC16F690.
|No. of Pins||20|
|Operating Voltage||2 to 5.5 V|
|No. of I/O Pins||18|
|10-Bit ADC||12 Channels|
|Oscillator||up to 20 MHz|
|Timer (3)||8-Bit Timer (2)16-Bit Timer (1)|
|SPI Protocol|| Yes|
|Brown Out Reset||Yes|
|Master Clear Reset||Yes|
|Power up Timer||Yes|
|Selectable Oscillator Option||Yes|
|Maximum Current Drawn Each Pin||25mA|
|Data Retention Capability||40 Years|
|Power Saving Sleep Mode||Yes|
3. PIC16F690 Functions
This PIC comes with an ability to perform a number of valuable functions like other controllers in the PIC community. Following are the main functions of PIC16F690.
Timers are very useful for creating a delay in the running function. PIC16F690 comes with three timers where two are 8-bit and one is 16-bit timer that can be configured both ways i.e. timer and counter. The former is used to create delay and increments the instruction cycle while later is used to count the number of intervals in specific running function and increments the rising and falling edge of the pin.
PIC16F690 contains USART module that consists of two pins called TX and RX where former is a transmission pin used for transmitting serial data
to other devices and later is a receive pin used for receiving serial data.
In-Circuit Serial Programming
In-Circuit Serial Programming is another valuable feature incorporated into the device that gives the flexibility to program the controller after its installation in the relevant project.
PIC16F690 comes with built-in timer called watchdog timer that can be configured with programming. It is mainly used to reset the controller when the running program gets stuck in an infinite loop. This timer prevents the device from any malfunctioning and provides a preventive measure by resetting the device before it goes to any invalid software glitch. More often than not, watchdog timer acts like a countdown timer that starts from 1000 and gradually goes down to zero.
Power saving sleep mode is another valuable function added in the chip that generates a low current power down mode. The sleep mode can be abandoned using an interrupt, watchdog timer or external reset.
4. PIC Compilers
- MPLAB C18 Compiler is a standard compiler, introduced by Microchip, that is mainly used for PIC controllers. You can download this compiler online from the Microchip Official Site.
- Third-party software can also be used for compiling the program and MikroC Pro For PIC is available for this purpose.
- You must check this list of Top 3 PIC C Compilers where you can pick any compiler based on your technical requirements.
- The code we write in the compiler generates a hex file that is transferred to the PIC Microcontroller.
- You need a burner to transfer the compiled program to the controller. PICKit3 is widely used for this purpose. There are other unofficial burners used for burning the code, however, PICKit3 is mostly preferred and used for PIC controllers.
5. PIC16F690 Memory Organization
Memory plays a vital role to store the number of instruction on the controller. It is mainly divided into three types calledProgram MemoryEEPROM MemoryRAM Memory
Program memory comes with 13-bit program counter that can address 8k x 14 memory space where reset vector stays at 0000h and interrupt vector stays at 0004h. It has a total memory space around 7k and is known as ROM or non-volatile memory that stores the program permanently and doesn't depend on the voltage source.
- EEPROM also stores information permanently but comes with one exception i.e. i.e. the instructions in EEPROM can be controlled and modified during the controller operation.
RAM memory stores the information temporarily and is known as a volatile memory or data memory that is mainly dependent on the power supply as it removes the stored information as the power supply is removed.
- Registers play a vital role in the controller that are the data holding places and can hold storage address, instruction and any kind of data containing bit sequence or individual characters.
The data memory, implemented as static RAM, is divided into four banks and contain two types of registers calledGeneral Purpose RegistersSpecial Function Registers
General purpose registers store any modified or random value in the processor, and are organized as 8 x 256 in RAM and accessed by File Select Register. While Special function registers mainly control the peripheral functions and occupy the first 32 locations of each bank.W Register.
This register belongs to GPRs and is accessible by a program. It doesn't take part in any register bank where desired values must be written on it and moved to the target register before defining them for available ports.STATUS.
This register helps in switching between the banks.
6. PIC16F690 Block Diagram
Block diagram is very helpful to have a deeper look at how different pins and components operate and attach to each other.The following figure shows the block diagram of PIC16F690.
This PIC module comes with three ports A, B and C and each one contains 6, 4 and 8 pins respectively.
7. PIC16F690 Projects and Applications
- Students project for interfacing sensor and motor controlling
- Central heating projects
- For serial communication
- Production of temperature data logger
- Main part of the embedded system
- Used in industrial automation
- Used in security systems
- Gas sensor projects
- Starter Kits
8. Why Select PIC Microcontrollers
PIC controllers play a vital role in the development of many electronic projects that are directly or remotely related to automation. These controllers house a number of peripheral functions that prevent you from spending extra money to buy and connect external components for driving relevant operation.PIC controllers and burners are readily available and you can get support from Microchip site that not only helps you pick a right microcontroller but also helps in the development of your desired project. PIC controllers are highly economical, cover less space and turn out to be very lightweight that make your project a true manifestation of innovative ideas.That's all for today. I hope I have given you everything you needed to know about PIC16F690. If you are unsure or have any question, you can ask me in the comment section below. I'll try my best to resolve your queries. Keep us updated with your valuable feedback so we keep providing quality content as per your needs and demands. Thanks for reading the article.