Hello friends I hope you all are doing great. Today, I am going to give you a detailed Introduction to PIC18F4550
. Its one of the most renowned PIC Microcontroller and is used in almost every field. You should also have a look at my previous tutorial Introduction to PIC16F877a
, as it will also be helpful. PIC18F4550 also has 40 Pins and is quite similar to PIC16F877a with some additional features.In today's post we will get the general overview of this microcontroller
, which is very essential if you wanna start working on it. If you have any problem in any part of it then ask your questions in comments and I will try my best to resolve them out. So, now let's get started with Introduction to PIC18F4550:
Introduction to PIC18F4550
is a 8-bit
PIC Microcontroller which belongs to PIC18 Family and has a Program Memory
of 32KB, RAM
of 2048Bytes, EEPROM
Memory of 256Bytes and CPU Speed
of 12MIPS. It is mostly used in embedded projects and is quite used in Engineering Projects
. Few of its main features are:
- It has five Ports on it starting from Port A to Port E.
- It has below mentioned Ports for Data Communication.
- USB Port
- Serial Port
- I2C Port
- It also has interrupt functionality in it and we can place any kind of interrupt in it.
- Here's the Pin Diagram of PIC18F4550:
- Each Pin of PIC18F4550 can perform more than one task, as you can see in above figure that Pins are having more than one label.
- So, now again we have to design its Basic Circuit as we did for PIC16F877a.
1. PIC18F4550 Basic Circuit
- As I have mentioned in my previous tutorial on PIC16F877a that each PIC Microcontroller needs a Basic circuit, this basic circuit is like a a power supply to PIC Microcontroller.
- You must be wondering why am I forcing again and again to read previous tutorial on PIC16F877a, its because I have discuss that tutorial quite in detail and no matter what PIC Microcontrolelr you are using that basic information will remain the same. So again must read that tutorial. :)
- Anyways here's the PIC18F4550 Basic Circuit:
- If you remember than its exactly the same as for PIC16F877a, so I am not gonna explain it much.
- All the Grounded lines are shown in black color and Power Lines with +5V are shown with Red Lines.
- We also have Crystal Oscillator for frequency here connected to Pin # 12 & Pin # 13.
- Now, let's have a look at PIC18F4550 Ports:
2. PIC18F4550 Ports
- Again it has same Ports as of our Previous Microcontroller starting from Port A to Port E.
- PIC16F877a has 5 Ports in total which are:
- Port A: It has 6 Pins in total starting from Pin # 2 to Pin # 7.
- Port B: It has 8 Pins in total starting from Pin # 33 to Pin # 40.
- Port C: It has 8 Pins in total. It’s pins are not aligned together. First four Pins of Port C are located at Pin # 15 – Pin # 18, while the last four are located at Pin # 23 – Pin # 26.
- Port D: It has 8 Pins in total. It’s pins are also not aligned together. First four Pins of Port D are located at Pin # 19 – Pin # 22, while the last four are located at Pin # 27 – Pin # 30.
- Port E: It has 3 Pins in total starting from Pin # 8 to Pin # 10.
3. PIC18F4550 Compiler
- Their official Compiler is available online at Microchip website and can be used free of cost.
- I use MikroC Pro for PIC Compiler which you can download from their official site and it has a demo version but you have to buy the full version.
- You should also read this list of Top 3 PIC C Compiler.
4. PIC18F4550 USB Communication
- Here's the main reason of PIC18F4550's popularity, it supports USB Communication.
- Here's the simplest circuit diagram for PIC18F4550 USB Communication, I will post tutorial on it soon.
- So, we can do the PIC18F4550 USB Communication by using below two Pins:
- Pin # 23: (D-)
- Pin # 24: (D+)
5. PIC18F4550 Serial Communication
- We can also do the PIC18F4550 Serial Communication.
- PIC18F4550 Serial Communication Pins are shown in below figure:
- You can see in above figure that below two pins are used for PIC18F4550 Serial Communication:
- Pin # 25 (TX).
- Pin # 26 (RX).
Moreover, it also supports I2C communication and it also has interrupts in it. So, that's all for today. I hope you got something out of it. :) Will meet you guys in next tutorial till then take care and have fun !!! :)