Introduction to INA219
- INA219 is a current/power sensor module mainly employed to sense the power, voltage or current where up to 128 samples can be averaged together to get filtering in noisy environments. This data is then submitted to a microcontroller using the I2C bus.
- This device features an I2C protocol mainly used to transmit data between devices. The I2C protocol comes with two wires SDA and SCL. The SDL is a serial data line that carries the data while SCL is a serial clock line that carries the clock signal and ensures the synchronization of data transfer over an I2C bus.
- In the I2C protocol, one device acts like a master and the other as a slave. Using this communication protocol you can attach multiple slaves with a single master whereas you can also control single or multiple slave devices with multiple masters.
- INA219 can be easily incorporated with the microcontrollers and Arduino boards and with devices that come with an I2C bus interface.
- It also contains 2W 0.1 Ohms 1% rated shunt resistor mainly employed to fulfill the current measuring requirements.
- This sensor module is a key part of the power monitoring systems. And the power input of this device ranges from 3V to 5.5V and the target voltage is up to +26V.
INA219 DatasheetIt is better to go through the datasheet of the device before you embed this device into your electrical project. The datasheet features the main characteristics of the module. Click the link below to download the datasheet of INA219.
INA219 PinoutThe following figure shows the pinout diagram of INA219. The following table represents the pin description of each pin incorporated into the module.
|Pin Description of INA219|
|Pin No.||Pin Description||Pin Name|
|1||Sensed Input line -||VIN-|
|2||Sensed Input line +||VIN+|
|4||Connected to ground||GND|
|5||Serial clock line that carries the clock signal||SCL|
|6||Serial data line that contains the data||SDA|
- Contains 2C- or SMBus-compatible interface
- Comes with up to +26V target voltage
- Power Input Range = 3.0V-5.5V
- Can Sense Bus Voltages ranging from 0 to 26 V
- Up to 128 samples are averaged to get filtering in noisy environments.
- Capable of up to ±3.2A current measurement, with ±0.8mA resolution
- Contains ohm 1% 2W current sense resistor
- Board Dimension = 0.8 x 0.9 inch (l x w x h)
- Used in power monitoring systems
- Employed in power profiler
- Used in digital multimeter