Hello friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we are gonna have a look at detailed Introduction to TIP122. It is a Darlington braces NPN transistor. It works like an ordinary NPN transistor, but as it consists of a Darlington pair it has a decent collector current assessment of nearby 5 amperes and it’s gain is around 1000. This transistor can bear 100 volts around collector and emitter terminals due to this feature it can be used for high loads.
This is a common purpose transistor it used in different industrial projects. It manufactured for less time taking switching submissions. In today’s post, we will have a look at its protection, wreck, distinction, entitlements, etc. I will also share some links where I have connected it with other microcontrollers. You can also get more material about it in comments, I will guide you more about it. So, let’s get started with a basic Introduction to TIP122.
Introduction to TIP122
- It is a Darlington braces NPN transistor. It works like an ordinary NPN transistor, but as it consists of a Darlington pair it has a decent collector current assessment of nearby 5 amperes and it’s gain is around 1000.
- This transistor is famous for its higher gain of current which 1000 and it uses higher current at collector which is 5 amperes.
- Due to its higher gain of current and huge collector current (IC), it is used in such loads which use higher current and its uses for such submissions which required higher amplification.
- This transistor consumes less voltage only five volts across base and emitter, therefore, it can be effortlessly organized by a Logical expedient such as a microcontroller.
- Though precaution has to do to check if the logic expedient can supply up to 120 mA.
- So, if you are eyeing for a transistor which can be effortlessly organized by a Logical expedient to modification high power consuming loads or to intensify higher current then this transistor can be a perfect option for your solicitations.
Pinout of TIP122
- These are the main pinout of TIP122:
|Pin#1||Emitter||Current comes out by the emitter, it is usually linked to ground.|
|Pin#2||Base||It governs the biasing of the transistor and works to turn ON or OFF the transistor.|
|Pin#3||Collector||Current movements in over collector, usually linked to load|
Let’s see a diagram of the TIP122 pinout:
Features of TIP122
- These are the main features of TIP122.
- It is presented in TO-220 Compendium.
- It is a Darlington Intermediate power consuming NPN Transistor.
- It has Greater DC Current Gain, which value is 1000.
- Its Nonstop Collector current (IC) is 5A.
- Its voltage transversely collector and emitter are 100 volts.
- The collector and base (Vce) voltage are 100 volts.
- The quantity of (VBE ) is 5 volts.
- The value of the current at the base is 120 milliampere.
Working of TIP122
- This transistor is recognized for its higher current gain which is 1000 and higher collector current 5 amperes, therefore, it is usually used to switch loads with higher current or in submissions which need higher intensification.
- This transistor has less base and emitter Voltage of the merely 5V henceforth can be effortlessly organized by a Logic instrument such as a microcontroller.
- Though precaution has to be engaged to check, if the logic instruments can font up to 120mA.
- Though TIP122 has extraordinary current at collector and current gain, it is impartially modest to switch the expedient meanwhile it has an Emitter-Base voltage (VBE) of the only 5V and Ib of merely 120mA.
- In the lower circuit diagram, I have used the TIP122 to control a 48V motor which has an incessant current of around 3A.
- The incessant collector current of this transistor is 5A and our load devours merely 3A which is well.
- The higher base current is around 120 mA, but I have used a higher worth of 100-ohm resistor to bound it to 42 mA.
- You can also use even a 1K resistor if your collector current prerequisite is fewer.
- The highest current of this transistor is 8A so make certain your motor does not devour extra than that.
- This is disinterested a perfect circuit figure which displays the employed on this transistor it cannot be used as such.
Applications of TIP122
- These are the main applications of TIP122.
- It is used to adjustment of high current loads such as 5 amperes.
- It is used as an average Power switch.
- It works where higher intensification is desirable.
- It used for velocity controller of Motors.
- It used in Inverter and other rectifier circuitries.
So, that was all about TIP122 if you have any question about it please ask in comments. I will reply to you as soon as possible. Thanks for reading.