Hello friends, I hope you are fine and doing great in your lives. Today, I am not going to write an article or a tutorial, rather I am going to tell you about different engineering projects that I have worked on. If I am talking about engineering projects then it means a variety of different kind of projects. These projects may include microcontroller based projects with Arduino, 8051 or pic, 555 timer based projects, Matlab projects, LabVIEW projects, Proteus projects and a lot more.
In this article, I am going to share some of the very interesting projects from my list. If you are an engineering student or someone who loves to work on engineering projects, then you can definitely start from here. The first ones that I am discussing with you are Arduino projects.
Arduino Based Engineering Projects
The most commonly used microcontroller is Arduino. It is widely used in embedded systems and also in classrooms for teaching purposes. The main features of Arduino are:
- Digital input and output pins
- Analog pins
- PWM pins
- ICSP connector
- Quartz crystal
- USB connection
- Reset button
- Open source software
- Build in voltage regulation
- Easy to use
I have posted a lot of stuff on Arduino. You can find tutorials on how to use Arduino, Arduino basics, libraries and all my projects here Arduino Projects. Now let’s get started with Arduino based engineering projects. The first one is for displaying atmospheric temperature on LCD.
1. How to use Temperature Sensor 18B20 with Arduino in Proteus ISIS?
- Using temperature sensor with microcontroller is a very popular project with engineering students.
- A variety of temperature sensors are available that you can interface with microcontroller for monitoring temperature.
- I have used sensor 18B20 with Arduino which is most commonly used sensor and gives accurate value. It is very efficient and easy to use as it has only one wire.
- I have interfaced this sensor with microcontroller and displayed the result that is atmospheric temperature on an LCD.
- You can find the tutorial for this project here How to use Temperature Sensor 18B20 with Arduino in Proteus ISIS? The libraries that you will need for this project are listed here which you can download also. I have provided all of the details about components, code for your microcontroller and simulation in this tutorial.
2. Interfacing of Seven Segment with Arduino in Proteus
- The second project is interfacing of seven segment display. This project is also very helpful for you as seven segment display can be used with different engineering projects. For example in clocks, counters, stop watches etc.
- In this project, I have interfaced seven segment display with Arduino to show different characters. The whole project is simulated on Proteus.
- For the project you need to have Arduino library and seven segment display library which you can download from our website. This tutorial can be found here Interfacing of Seven Segment With Arduino in Proteus.
3. Arduino Bluetooth communication using HC-05
- Bluetooth communication is very interesting thig to do which covers this project.
- In this project, I have used Arduino to communicate data to mobile phone.
- The Bluetooth module used in this project is HC-05 which is a serial module.
- You can find the complete description of this project here Arduino Bluetooth communication using HC-05.
- I have also provided the details of all components and code for your project.
4. Intelligent Energy Saving System
- From the name you must have guessed that this project is going to help you in reducing the energy consumption.
- The project is designed for a room but can be extended to house. Also this project is a part of home automation system.
- IR sensors are used for detecting presence of person in room, and a bulb and a fan are considered as a load that are being monitored by this system.
- For getting display, an LCD is also attached.
- You can find this project here Intelligent Energy Saving System. All the component details, circuit diagrams and code are given there.
5. Traffic Signal Control Project Using Arduino
- Controlling traffic signals is a very popular project among students. It’s a god project for beginners, so I am adding it up here.
- This projects involves controlling lights at fixed time intervals.
- You can find further details and code on this project in the following link Traffic Signal Control Project Using Arduino.
6. Control Servo Motor with Arduino in Proteus
- If you are working on robotics, then you must need to control servo motors. Other than robotics, servo motors have wide applications where you need precise angular motion.
- In this project, I have controlled a servo motor using Arduino and simulated it on Proteus.
- Also, I have added push buttons so that we can move servo motor to some desired position.
- You can find the project here Control Servo Motor with Arduino in Proteus. This very simple and easy project but very useful for adding in other projects.
7. EasyVR Shield with Arduino
- I have written a series of tutorials on EasyVR Shield.
- The first tutorial is Voice Recognition Project Using EasyVR Shield. This is actually an overview of this whole project.
- The second tutorial is Getting Started with EasyVR Commander. In this tutorial I have given an overview of EasyVR Commander.
- Third tutorial of this series is Interfacing of EasyVR Shield with Arduino UNO. This one is quite interesting as I have interfaced EasyVR shield with Arduino which recognizes commands by user.
- The fourth tutorial of this series is How to solve Training Error: Recognition Failed in EasyVR. This article contains the solution to Training error.
PIC Microcontroller based Engineering Projects
Pic microcontroller is also used widely for engineering projects. It is a microcontroller family from Microchip Technology. Just like other microcontrollers it has RAM, ROM, counters, timers, ADC and DAC converters etc. Some of the characteristic features of this microcontroller are:
- Uses Harvard architecture
- Ease of programming
- Easy interfacing
- Supports RISC
- Low power consumption
- Wide availability
- Fast processing
If you want the complete list of our pic microcontroller projects along with all the tutorials on basics than you can follow this article PIC Microcontroller Projects. Now I am going to share some of the projects here.
1. Electronic Door Lock using PIC Microcontroller
- This is a project in which I have designed an electronic door lock. This project can be a module of home automation system or home security system.
- The project can be installed on the main gate of the house. Anybody who wants to come in has to enter a password. If someone tries to enter the house using a wrong password then a buzzer gets on and aware the family members.
- Pic18f452 is used in this project. I have used solenoid for locking purpose, a serial terminal for communication medium and EEPROM for saving password.
- The complete details, code and simulation can be found here Electronic Door Lock using PIC Microcontroller.
2. Display ADC value on LCD using PIC Microcontroller
- In this project, I have displayed the values from Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) of pic microcontroller to an LCD.
- LCDs are used in a variety of engineering projects so this project could be very helpful to you.
- To get analog values for ADC, I have used current transformer and a potential transformer.
- The values from ADC are 10 bit so after converting them to 8 bit, I have displayed them on LCD.
- You can find complete project here Display ADC value on LCD using PIC Microcontroller.
3. Password Protection using PIC Microcontroller
- Password Protection is again a very useful project which can be employed in different projects.
- In this project, I have used an LCD and a keypad.
- Proteus is used for simulation while pic is microcontroller.
- In this system, I have driven a motor, if the user provides correct password.
- If the user provides wrong password, then he gets another chance to enter password.
- The simulation and code can be downloaded from the tutorial. Complete project is provided here Password Protection using PIC Microcontroller.
555 Timer based Engineering Projects
555 timer is an integrated chip used in timer and oscillator applications. It is also used for generating pulses. This IC founds applications in creating time delays. You can find basics of 555 timer here What is 555 Timer? I have written tutorials on 555 timer including different projects which you can access here 555 Timer projects. I am going to mention some of them in this article.
1. Sequential LED Flashing Project with 555 Timer
- This is basic project in which I have made LEDs blink in a manner, such as ascending order or descending order.
- Using the same technique you can create patterns of your own choice.
- In this project I have used a shift register 4017. This 4017 is Serial In parallel out register.
- The clock pulse needed by shift register is provided by 555 timer.
- I have provided all the details of the work here Sequential LED Flashing Project with 555 Timer.
2. Relay Control with 555 Timer
- Relay control using 555 timer is an advanced level project. I have simulated it on Proteus ISIS.
- Relays are used for automatic switching operations. In this project I have used a mechanical switch to control relay.
- You can watch a short video of the simulation in this tutorial. The link to follow is Relay Control with 555 Timer.
3. Capacitive Touch Sensor with 555 Timer
- In this tutorial I have discussed how you can use a capacitive touch sensor with 555 timer.
- Capacitive touch sensing technology is used in capacitive coupling. Other applications include mobile phones, audio players, tablet computers etc.
- Other than capacitive touch sensor, I have used an NPN transistor and an LED with 555 Timer.
Now I am going to tell you about the projects I have made on Matlab. Matlab is very important tool for engineers which is very easy to learn. It is basically used for solving complex mathematics problems. You can work with matrices in this software. Other than that, you can use this software for simulation purposes. I am mentioning some of the projects here but you can find all of them following MATLAB Projects.
1. Speech Recognition using Correlation
- Speech recognition is used in a lot of different projects. These projects can be security systems or automation projects.
- In this project, I have used technique of cross correlation for speech recognition in Matlab.
- The main idea is to find similarity between the signal stored in our database and the testing signal by comparing the two.
- I have used nine audio files in this project. You can download these files and code from here Speech Recognition using Correlation.
2. Analysis of Sinusoidal PWM of AC Signal
- This project is a Simulink based project. Simulink is the simulation tool in Matlab.
- In this tutorial, I have shared the analysis if Sinusoidal Pulse Width Modulation of AC signals.
- I have added all the details of this project and explained every bit of code in this tutorial. You can find this project here Analysis of Sinusoidal PWM of AC Signal.
3. Detect Circles in Images Using MATLAB
- Matlab is very useful software when it comes to image processing. You can do all type of image processing on Matlab.
- This is a very basic project and quite easy one in which I have detected circles in an image.
- I have used an image for the said purpose and then applied imfindcircles command to it.
- I have posted the code and rest of the working here Detect Circles in Images Using MATLAB.
So these were some of the projects that could be very helpful for you. Moreover you can take a look on my PLC related projects here PLC Projects. Also if you are working on LabVIEW then you must take a look on my tutorial on LabView projects. I hope you will enjoy reading these articles and will them a try.