Hey pals, we hope you are doing good. Welcome to another experiment in the Proteus. Prior to this, we learnt about the different Logic Gates and there proofs in Proteus ISIS. Today, we are going to get knowledge about Exclusive OR Gate. Let’s see what will we learn today.
- What are Exclusive OR Gates
- Experimental Proof in Proteus ISIS.
- How Truth Table of Exclusive OR Gate is designed.
- How is its Timing Diagram.
- Circuit of Exclusive OR Gate in Proteus Simulation
- Applications of Exclusive OR Gates
Exclusive OR Gate
The exclusive OR Gate are also called EOR or EXOR Gate. Recall that the OR Gate gives the output zero only, when both of its inputs are zero. But, when we talk about the XOR Gate we define it as:
“XOR Gate is the two input Gate that’s one of the exclusive gate that Give the output HIGH only when the Only one input is HIGH and the Other Input is LOW.”
Hence, XOR Gate Performs the inequality function in the Logic Gates. That implies when the Inputs are unequal, we get the Output HIGH otherwise LOW.
The XOR Gate has minimum two inputs where the output is always one. The XOR Gate is denoted by a plus sign with a circle around it between the inputs. Thus, if A and B are two inputs of XOR ate Gate then we denote the XOR Gate as:
Output of XOR
We can also Get a clear Concept about the XOR Gate have the Output with like the addition of bits of input. Yet, the carry is ignored.
Consider the above statement as statement 1.
We’ll put the values one after the other in this expression to check whether our discussion works or not.
Hence by putting Condition in Statement 1 when input A and B , both are False we get:
Consider A=1,B=0 in Statement 1:
At last, check the expression when A=1,B=1
Hence in accordance with the above discussion, we Design the circuit of the XOR Gate is design in the Proteus ISIS. Lets start the simulation.
Proteus ISIS Simulation
- AND Gate
- OR Gate
- NOT Gate
- Logic Toggle
- Connecting Wire
- Take the Material from Pick Library.
- Set two AND Gates at the working area.
- Connect one NOT Gate with the inputs of each AND Gate.
- Join output of both AND Gates with the input of OR Gates.
- Join the LED with the output of OR Gate.
- Ground the Circuit through the Ground Terminal found on “Terminal Mode”.
- Change the inputs one after the other and you will Get your output given next in its Truth Table.
In digital Logic Circuits, a Truth Table is the Particular Combination of inputs and Outputs of a Circuit.
The Truth Table of XOR Gate is given next:
If we look at the Example in which when we use the XOR Gate we found the following diagram:
Instead of using many Gates in the circuit, the designers designed a single Circuit using Logic of the Gate discussed before. Graphically, the XOR Gate is then represented by an additional curve in the input of the OR Gate as:
At the instance, we are going to start the simulation in Proteus ISIS to see how can we use this Circuit and how our truth table is proved.
Simulation in Proteus ISIS
- Fire up your Proteus software.
- Get the following material from the Pick Library through “P” button.
- XOR Gate
- Logic Toggle
- Ground terminal
- Connecting wires
- Fix the XOR Gate at the Working Area.
- Connect Logic Toggles at its both Inputs.
- Fix the LED at the out[put Terminal.
- Get a Ground Terminal from “Terminal mode” presented on the Left most tab of Proteus.
- Join all the Components.
- Change the Values of Logic Toggles according to the inputs of Truth Table.
Notice that the Output is the same as we were expecting.
XOR Gate IC:
Recall the definition of IC:
“An Integrated Circuit is a flat chip made by a semi-conductor usually silicon that contains a whole circuitry of a Particular Gate or Circuit.”
Thus instead of the whole arrangement, we can simple use an IC that has same efficiency but provides the ease to use.
The IC of the XOR Gate is 7486. Instead of the XOR Gate we can use this. the input power is given to the 5th pin of the IC.
Applications of XOR Gate
XOR Gate is used in many circuits as:
- We use XOR Gate in Half Adder.
- It is used in the circuit of Controlled inverters.
- XOR is also used in comparators.
- Subtractor is the application of XOR Gate.
- Parity checker is made through XOR Gate.
- XOR is used in the Arithmetic Logic Circuits.
- Circuit of Binary to Grey and vise versa.
Consequently, Today we saw important information about the Exclusive OR Gate. We took in about the Basic Definition, we observed the journey of the whole Circuit of exclusive OR Gate from a circuit with all basic Gates to a single gate and then single Gate to the tiny Integrated Circuit. The Best thing about our learning was, we did it with a Practical implementation in the Proteus ISIS.