Hello friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today's tutorial, we are gonna have a look at detailed Introduction to MLX90614. MLX90614 is a temperature measurement device works on infrared radiations. It is the best choice for such applications where we can not easily reach to measure temperature because it provides non-contact measurement of temperature. It has Infra Red radiation receptive thermopile and ASSP (Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing) on same TO-39 cascading.This temperature measuring device is surfaced with the digital Pulse width Modulation and System Managing Bus. It is used in different industries to measure and control the temperature of moving components of machines and it also used to remove the fog on the window of vehicles. In today's post, we will have a look at its structure, pinout, features, applications, etc. I will also share some links where I have interfaced it with other microcontrollers. You can also ask about it in comments, I will guide you more about it. So, let's get started with a basic Introduction to MLX90614.
Introduction to MLX90614
- MLX90614 is a temperature measurement device works on infrared radiations. It is the best option for such applications where we can not easily reach to measure temperature because it provides non-contact measurement of temperature.
- It has an amplifier of squat noise, Analog to Digital (ADC) converter of 17- bits and potent DSP component, all these components provides the elevated exactness and high decree of this thermometer.
- During its fabrication, it is mounted with the 10 bit Pulse width modulation (PWM) which constantly sends out the calculated temperature in the assortment of -20 to 120 ˚C by providing yield resolution of 0.14 ˚C.
- It consists of two boards (chips) one is infrared radiation detector and other is ASSP which is a signal conditioner, it is for the processing of infrared sensor output. It is available in TO-39 enclosing.
- The pinout of Pulse width Modulation can also be used as a thermal type of relay, which provides us less expensive completion in temperature observant applications such as boiling and freezing.
- This device has two input supply choices one is 5V and other is the 3V battery. We can supply 5 volts by exterior supply.
MLX90614 Pinout & Description
- These are the main pinout of MLX90614.
For further information, let's see the pinout diagram.
|Pin#1||VSS||It is a ground pin.|
|Pin#2||SCL||It is Serial Clock input for a protocol of two wire. At this pin, there is a Zener diode of 5.7V to connect it with other Bipolar transistors.|
|Pin#3||PWM / SDA||It is digital input and output pin, the measured value of temperature can get by this pinout.|
|Pin#4||VDD||It is an external power supply.|
Features of MLX90614
- These are some features of MLX90614.
- It is accessible in lesser size and less costly.
- It can be effortlessly incorporated.
- It is obtainable in large no of temperature range such as -40 to 125 ˚C is used for temperature instruments and -70 to 380 ˚C for measurement of the different object's temperature.
- It delivers high exactness on different temperature choices such as 0 to 50 ˚C.
- It has a resolution value of 0.02°C.
- It works on 3v and 5V temperature range.
- It exists in single and twice over varieties.
- For the evaluation of temperature on consistent basis System Management Bus control Pulse Width Modulation.
- It can transform for such devices which works on 8 to 16V temperature.
- This module also has a mode for energy saving.
- It is offered in different suites according to the working atmosphere and applications.
- It can easily adaptable from one state to another.
Working of MLX90614
- Now we discuss its internal working operation with detailed.
- It has a state machine in it's cascading which examine and govern the measured value of temperature after this procedure sends these values to output pin through pulse width modulation.
- ASSP of this sensor adds in with the two infrared sensors. The yield of this sensor can intensify with the chopper amplifier. This output signal then strained by FIR and Infinite Impulse Response (IIR) filters to reduce the noise of the signal.
- The IIR filter value is the anticipated output we can get it from exterior RAM.
- On this unit there are three different cells one is for a temperature sensor and other for two infrared sensors.
- For better understanding, it's working let's see its circuit diagram.
Applications of MLX90614
- These are some applications of MLX90614.
- It is used to measure the temperature of such equipment’s where a man cannot reach.
- It is used for mobile air conditioners governor systems.
- It is used in different buildings and industries to measure temperature.
- It is used automobiles to confiscate the fog of windbreak.
- It controls the temperature of no static part of machinery in industries.
- It controls the temperature of photocopy machines and printers.
- It also exists in home appliances to measure and control their temperature.
- It used in medical tools.
- It also measures body temperature.