Hello everyone! I hope you all will be absolutely fine and having fun. Today, I am going to share my knowledge about Introduction to LM339. LM339 belongs to the family of devices having 4 independent voltage comparators. Each comparator is designed in such a way that it is capable of operating from a single power source over a wide range of power supplies. It can also operate for split power supplies. There is a unique characteristic of comparators, Input Common Mode Voltage Range (ICMR) includes a ground even when it is operating from a single power supply voltage.
Basically LM 339 is a comparator IC having four builtin comparators. The basic purpose of a comparator is to rotate the signal between analog and digital domains. At its input terminal, it compares the two different input voltages applied and gives a digital output and indicate the larger input applied at the input terminal.
Introduction to LM339
LM 339 is a comparator IC having 4 builtin comparators. A comparator rotates a signal between digital and analog domain. First of all, it compares the 2 different inputs applied at the input terminal and then gives the output in digital form in order to indicate which of the input applied has a larger amplitude. It has a lot of real life applications e.g. basic comparator, driving CMOS, driving TTL, low frequency op-amp, Transducer amplifier etc. Further detail about the particular IC will be given later in this tutorial.
1. LM339 Pinout
- LM 339 has fourteen (14) pins in total including four inverting input pins, four non inverting pins, four output pins, voltage and ground pin.
- All of the pins along with their sequence number are shown in the table given below.
2. LM339 Pins Configuration
- The properly labeled LM 339 pin configuration diagram is shown in the figure below, for the better understanding of the reader (specially the students).
3. LM339 Packages
- LM 339 has different packages including LM-339DG, LM-339NG etc.
- A few of the packages are given in the table shown below.
4. LM339 Features
- There are several different features associated with LM 339.
- A few of the major features including low supply current, low input bias current, low input offset current, low output saturation voltage etc. are taken into account.
- The major features along with their values and System International (SI) units are provided in the table shown below.
5. LM339 Ratings
- The current, voltage and power rating associated with LM 339 are given along with their typical values and SI units, in the table shown below.
There is a wide range of applications associated with LM 339 comparator IC. A few of the major applications along with their designed circuits are explained below.
- The circuit designed for Basic Comparator is shown in the figure below.
- You can see from the above figure that the basic comparator consists of LM 339 with two different reference input voltages and a15K resistor.
- The circuit designed for Driving CMOS is shown in the figure below.
- You can see from the above figure that the driving CMOS consists of LM 339 with two different reference input voltages and a 100K resistor.
Low frequency op-amp
- The circuit designed for Low Frequency Op-amp is shown in the figure below.
- You can see from the above figure that the Low Frequency Op-amp consists of LM 339 with two different reference input voltages, a 15K resistor and a 100K resistor having voltage gain of around 100.
- The circuit designed for Transducer Amplifier is shown in the figure below.
- You can see from the above figure that the Transducer amplifier consists of LM 339 with two different reference input voltages, a 3K resistor, a 20M resistor and two 10K resistors.
Zero crossing detector
- The circuit designed for Zero Crossing Detector is shown in the figure below.
- You can see from the above figure that the Transducer amplifier consists of LM 339 with two different reference input voltages, a 10K resistor, a 20M resistor, three 5.1K resistor, two 100K resistors and 1N4148 diode.
- There are few other applications associated with LM 339 and are given below.
- Limit comparator.
- Crystal controlled oscillator.
- Negative reference comparator.
- Driving TTL
So, that is all from the tutorial Introduction to LM339. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If you are facing any kind of problem, you can freely ask me in comments anytime you want without even feeling any sort of hesitation. I will try my level best to solve your issues in a proper way, if possible. Moreover, our team is also available 24/7 for your guidance. I will explore different IC’s and transistors in my upcoming tutorial and will surely share them with you as well. So, till then Take Care 🙂