Introduction to CA3140
- The CA3140 is a general-purpose op-amp that comes with MOSFET Input/Bipolar Output and extends the advantages of both… high voltage bipolar transistors and high voltage PMOS transistors on a single integrated chip.
- This device is used in comparators and active filters. Available with 4.5MHz frequency, CA3140 is also employed in power supplies and tone controls.
- It is an ideal pick for function generators and standard amplifier applications.
- It is available in 8-Pin PDIP Package and comes with a voltage gain of 100dB.
- It carries a wide common-mode input voltage range and with supply voltage range from 4V to 36V.
- This device is almost similar to CA3240 where the main difference lies with the number of op-amp inside the package. The CA3240 is more compact and cost-effective and comes with two op-amps inside the package while CA3140 carries only one op-amp inside the package.
- The CA3140 incorporates two offset null pins (Pin# 1 and Pin# 5). These two pins are employed inside the package to adjust the offset error of this op-amp.
- When the voltage difference between non-inverting and inverting pins is zero then the corresponding output voltage must be zero. If it is not zero, it is termed as an offset error which can only be adjusted using these two offset pins.
CA3140 DatasheetBefore applying this tiny little beast to your electrical project, it’s better to go through the datasheet of this device that details the main characteristics of the device. You can download the datasheet of CA3140 by clicking the link below.
CA3140 PinoutThe following table shows the pin description of CA3140.
|Absolute Maximum Rating of CA3140|
|Pin No.||Description||Pin Name|
|1,5||Used to adjust offset error||Offset Null|
|2||Inverting pin of the op-amp||Inverting Input(IN -)|
|3||Non-inverting pin of op-amp||Non-inverting Input(IN +)|
|8||This pin is employed for phase compensation or to turn off the output stage.||Strobe|
CA3140 Features and Characteristics
- Wide common mode input voltage range
- Available in 8-Pin PDIP Package
- Voltage Gain dB = 100 dB
- Low Input Current (Il) -10pA at ±15V
- Output Current per Channel = 40 mA
- Gain Bandwidth Product, GBP = 4.5 MHz
- Slew Rate, SR = 9 V/us
- Output swing complements input common mode range
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio – CMRR = 70 dB
- Supply Voltage = 4V to 36 V
- Operating Supply Current = 4 mA
- High Input Impedance (ZIN) = -1.5T?
CA3140 ApplicationsThe following are some main applications of CA3140.
- Employed in the sample and hold amplifiers.
- Incorporated in photocurrent instrumentation and peak detectors.
- Used in long-duration timers/multivibrators (µseconds-Minutes-Hours).
- Employed in 5V TTL Systems and other low supply voltage systems.
- Used in comparators and active filters.
- Used in tone controls and power supplies.
- Used in function generators and standard amplifier applications.
- Incorporated in portable instruments and intrusion alarm systems.