Hello Friends! Hope you’re well today. I welcome you on board. In this post today, I’ll be discussing the Introduction to 1n5408.
The 1n5408 is a component where current flows in one direction only. It comes with two pins named anode and cathode. The Anode side is positive from where the current enters the diode and the cathode is negative from where the current leaves the diode. The colored band side is the indication that the side is the cathode and the other side without the colored band is the anode of the diode.
Just stay with me for a little while as I’ll walk you through the 1n5408 power diode pinout, datasheet, features, equivalents, and applications.
Let’s get started.
Introduction to 1N5408
- The 1n5408 is a power diode where current flows in one direction only. It flows from the anode terminal to the cathode terminal. It carries low resistance in one direction and very high resistance in another direction.
- It is a semiconductor device where two terminals are attached to the p-n junction.
- The 1n5408 can be considered as an electronic check valve that allows current to flow in one direction only.
- Available in the DO-201 package, this power diode comes with a peak reverse current of 10uA while forward voltage drop is equal to 1A. Plus, 1n5408 can support load under 3A and it can undergo a peak current of 200A.
- There are two terminals on the diode named anode and cathode. The cathode terminal of the diode is identified by the grey colored band.
- It is known as a power diode since it carries high repetitive reverse voltage and high forward current. It is best suitable for the circuits operating under 3A.
- Due to the slow recovery time of this diode, this diode becomes obsolete in the modern circuits and is being replaced by advanced and highly efficient diodes.
- The current-voltage characteristics are non-linear in this case of the diode. Moreover, it initiates current flow in one direction only when a certain threshold voltage is achieved in the forward direction.
You can click the link below to get a datasheet where you can observe the main characteristics of the device.
The following figure shows the pinout diagram of 1n5408.
The 1n5408 comes with two terminals known as anode and cathode. The anode terminal is the place where the current enters the device and a cathode terminal is a place where it leaves the diode.
- Available in DO-201 Package
- High forward surge capability
- Low leakage current.
- Peak Reverse current = 10uA
- Forward Voltage drop = 1V
- Repetitive reverse voltage = 1000V
- Non-repetitive Peak current = 200A
- Average forward current = 3A
1N5408 Physical Dimensions
The following figure shows the physical dimensions of the device 1n5408.
- Used in HV supplies
- Employed as a protection device
- Incorporated in half-wave and full-wave rectifiers
- Used in current flow regulators
- Employed to prevent reverse polarity problem
That’s all for today. Hope you find this read helpful. If you have any questions, you can ask me in the comment section below. I’d love to help you the best way I can. Feel free to send your valuable suggestions and thoughts regarding the content we share, they help us generate quality content customized to your exact needs and requirements. Thank you for reading the article.