Hello Pupils! I welcome you to the board. I hope you are fine. In today’s tutorial, we will design a project Metal Detector using 555 Timer in Proteus ISIS. All of us perceive the situations when at the public places such as on airports or in shopping malls where sharp metallic objects such as a knife or illegal guns or even a nail cutter are not allowed, there are walkthrough gates at every entrance so that any person with the forbidden material when passes through the gate, the alarming buzzer automatically switched on. This happened because the walkthrough gates have the Metal Detector circuit in them that works immediately when such a situation occurs.
In this session, we’ll learn:
- What are Metal Detectors?
- How does the 555 Timer collaborate with the circuit of Metal Detector?
- How does the circuit of the 555 Timer Metal Detector works?
- How can we implement the circuit of 555 Timer Metal Detector in Proteus?
In addition, you will also have some useful pieces of information in DID YOU KNOW Sections.
NE555 Timer Metal Detectors
Metal Detectors became the one of the necessary devices for many public Places either it is park or bank, airport or any supermarket. It is because they play a vital role in the maintenance of security. Most of the metal detectors We define the Metal Detector as:
“The Metal detectors are the specialized NE555 Timer gadgets that detect the presence of the metals when the metals enters in the range of Metal Detector Circuits.”
The NE555 Timer Metal Detectors does not only have the application i the field of security but they are also used in a variety of situations. The NE555 Timer Metal Detector can be categorized into three basic Families:
- Very Low Frequency Detectors.
- Pulse Induction Detectors.
- Metal Detectors for specific Purpose.
DID YOU KNOW??????????????????????
“1960 was the year in which the 1st Metal Detector was established using simple devices in industrial and Mineral Prospecting. “
There are many kinds of NE555 Timer Metal Detectors that are used for different operations some of them are listed below:
- Diagnostic Purposes.
- Detecting myriad of foreign objects.
- Finding the presence of bullets.
- Detecting the intraocular metallic fragments.
- Finding Swallowed coins.
Working of NE555 Timer Metal Detector
When we talk about the working of the NE555 Timer Metal Detector, we must have a clear idea about the following concepts:
- NE555 Timer operational system
Inductance in NE555 Timer Metal Detector
Let’s recall the idea of Inductance that we are learning from our physics class:
“The Inductance, in electromagnetism and electronics, is the ability of a conductor of electricity to negate the change in the electric current that is flowing through it. This flow of electric current produces a magnetic field around that electrical conductor.”
In the NE555 Timer Metal Detector circuit, we use an inductor that senses the presence of the Metal near to it. More close a Metal Detector to it, the more electric field lines are produced and hence the speaker gives the sound more loudly indicating the distance between the NE555 Timer Metal Detector and the metal’s distance.
We denote the Inductance through “L”. Hence the formula to find the Inductance through any Conductor can be find through:
Inductance= Magnetic Flux of Current/Current.
DID YOU KNOW ???
“There are some Metal Detectors that are used to find the treasure or ancient metals underground. They are so powerful that they can detect the Metal many feet away. Thus, many people have a life changing search due to these useful instruments.”
NE555 Timers belongs to the Family of 555 Timers Integrated Circuits. These are highly utilitarian circuits that are considered as one of the most used Integrated Circuits in the world of Electronics. We introduce the NE555 Timer as:
“NE555 Timer Circuit is the widely used Integrated Circuit having 8 pins and used to have the output that have a uniform pulses that can be set according to need.”
The 555 Timers are used to have a variety of pulses that depends upon the arrangement of the devices connected to their Pins. There are three kinds of NE555 Timer modes:
- Monostable Mode.
- Astable Mode.
- Bistable Mode.
Operations in the NE555 Timer Metal Detector Circuit
- When we examine the Circuit of NE555 Timer Metal Detector, we find these operations:
- The power of all the components is the Direct current that is provided by the battery.
- This power enters the NE555 Timer circuit that produces the uniform Timer-based Pulse at its output pin.
- This Pulse enters the resistor that controls the flow of current through the main Metal Detector circuit.
- The Resistor passes this current to the Inductor. The Inductance of the inductor is the basic criteria of distance measurement.
- As in Proteus, it is not possible to show the Movement of a Metal, so the value of the inductance represents the number of electric field lines around the NE555 Timer Metal Detector circuit. More is the Inductance, more numbers of lines passing through the inductor and hence it is assumed that metal is more near to the circuit.
- The DC current then passes through the speaker according to the strength of the electric field lines and hence we found the faint or hard sound.
Circuit design of 555 Timer Metal Detector in Proteus
- Power up your Proteus Software.
- Choose the following components from the Pick Library button “P”.
- NE555 Timer
- Take all the Components from the left section and arrange all of them on working screen according to the diagram given below:
- Now, Change the values of some of the components one after the other by double clicking the components.
- Inductor= 150mH, Capacitor 1=2.2uF,Capacitor 2=2.2uF,Capacitor 3 10uF, Resistor= 47k Ohm, Battery=9V.
- Connect the circuit components with the help of connecting wire so our circuit look like this:
- As soon as the Circuit is simulated by hitting the Play button, the user sense a sound or buzzer from the circuit.
- If you heard it then cool, otherwise look at your circuit once again.
Change the value of inductor to 300micro Farad and more to hear the louder sound.
Hence today, we saw what are NE555 Timer Metal Detector, How do they are classified, how does the circuit of 555 Metal detector works and how can we design its circuit using simple devices in Proteus ISIS. Stay with us for more projects.