Hello Learners, Welcome to another useful tutorial at The Engineering Projects. In the world of electronics and circuits, many useful devices are designed that can minimize the requirement of large and complex circuits. At the Present time, we are working at such a device works very near to the base of many circuits i.e, IRFZ44N MOSFET. We’ll approach to the answers of following Questions:
- What is IRFZ44N MOSFET?
- How is the Structure of IRFZ44N MOSFET?
- What is the working mechanism for the IRFZ44N MOSFET?
- How can we find the characteristics of IRFZ44N MOSFET in Proteus ISIS?
You will have some important chunks of information about the topic in DID YOU KNOW sections.
What is IRFZ44N MOSFET
As you can see, MOSFET is a acronym of Metal Oxide Silicon Field Effect Transistor. We introduce the IRFZ44N MOSFET as:
IRFZ44N is an important type of N-type MOSFET that consist of three pins, have a hgh Drain current and a low Rds Values.
It is the type of IGFET( Isolated Gate Field Effect Transistors). A large amount of MOSFETs are used as switch every year. When we compare it with BJT , we find that it requires almost not current to control the load current unlike BJT. If you want in-depth study on this mosfet then you should have a look at IRFZ44N Datasheet.
DID YOU KNOW ???
MOSFET is a semi-conductor device that is Fabricated by the Controlled oxidation of Semi-conductors (Silicon in most case). It can work in both modes of operations i.e, Depletion and enchantment.
Structure of IRFZ44N MOSFET
When we observe the IRFZ44N MOSFET we find that it consist of mainly three pins as described below:
|Pin Number||Pin Name||Role|
Vgs: The IRFZ44N MOSFET is a voltage controlled device that means it can be turned on and off when we apply a required threshold Voltage. This voltage is termed as Vgs.
Vds: It is the absolute Maximum Voltage of IRFZ44N MOSFET between Drain and Source. This is salient characteristic of IRFZ44N MOSFET because during the operation of IRFZ44N MOSFET Drain-source voltage should kept less than maximum rated value. Here D Stands for Drain and S stands for Source.
Ids: It is the amount of current that passes from Vds to the IRFZ44N MOSFET. The direction of this current is important during the Operations of IRFZ44N MOSFET.
DID YOU KNOW ???
The MOSFET is a better version of Junction Field Effect Transistor. Due to the limitation of JFET for the conduction in one side only ( some time it is the advantage), the Designers made a new type of Transistor that can change the conductivity when the amount of applied voltage is change and named them as MOSFET.
Characteristic Curve of IRFZ44N MOSFET
The quality and the suitability of any transistor is checked through its characteristic curve. The characteristic curve of IRFZ44N MOSFET have two phases.
- Depletion Mode
- Enhancement Mode
In this mode the Transistor is closed during the zero bias voltage at gate terminal. Hence the IRFZ44N MOSFET is said to be switched ON. The channel width increases when the Gate Voltage is increased to the positive side. in return, the current Ids increases.
During the situation when Gate voltage’s value is decreased, the Width of the channel decreases and Ids follows the same rule.
DID YOU KNOW ???
The IRFZ44N MOSFET is also known as the Power MOSFET. It is 22oAB through hole package that has three pins. The top metal tab is also called the drain because both of them are same.
This mode is usually considered as normally open switch as the transistor does not conduct the current when the Gate Voltage is zero. If we apply a positive voltage to the gate then a Drain current follows through the Gate.
The Enhancement mode of IRFZ44N MOSFET enhances the channel because when the Drain current’s value is increased the channel width increase and the decrement of the width is for vise versa.
IRFZ44N MOSFET Characteristic Curve in Proteus ISIS
To understand the whole discussion mentioned above, Let’s make a characteristic Curve of IRFZ44N MOSFET in Proteus ISIS. To do this, just follow the simple steps given next:
- Power up your Proteus software.
- Go to Pick Library by pressing the “P” button given at the left side of the screen.
- Choose IRFZ44N MOSFET.
- Arrange the Transistor at the working area.
- Go to Terminal Mode from the left most side bar of the screen.
- Choose Ground Terminal and set it just below the IRFZ44N MOSFET.
- Go to Generation mode and select DC.
- Set one DC probe at the left of the irfz44n MOSFET and take another and set it at the upper side of irfz44n MOSFET.
- Connect at the components set until now with the Help of Connecting wires.
- Select the current probe and set it just after the Vds. Make sure its direction is toward the irfz44n MOSFET.
- Go to Graph Mode>Transfer and set a Transfer Graph just after the Circuit.
- Right Click the Graph>Edit Properties>Set the Vds as Source 1>Set Vgs as Source 2>click Ok.
- Right Click the Graph>Add Trace>Set Ids as the Probe>Click ok.
- Right Click the Graph>Simulate.
- You will Get the required output:
Hence, in this article, we learned about the IRFZ44N MOSFET, we saw the introduction of IRFZ44N MOSFET, Learned about the structure of IRFZ44N MOSFET, saw some important concepts about the IRFZ44N MOSFET and performed a Practical Implementation of IRFZ44N MOSFET for the Characteristic Curves in Proteus ISIS.