What is Arduino Mega 1280?
- Arduino Mega 1280 is a compact and sophisticated microcontroller board based on the Atmega1280 microcontroller.
- This module incorporates total 54 digital I/O pins on the board, of which 14 could be used for PWM.
- Featured with 16 analog pins, Arduino Mega 1280 comes with 4 UART serial ports, ICSP header, power jack, and reset button.
- Moreover, it contains a crystal oscillator of frequency 16MHz and a USB connection for transferring the code from the computer to the module.
Arduino Mega 1280 Library for Proteus V2.0First, you need to download the Arduino Mega 1280 library for Proteus V2.0 by clicking the below button:
Download Arduino Mega 1280 Library for Proteus V2.0
- You will receive the downloaded file in zip format.
- Extract this zip file and get the folder named "Proteus Library Files".
- If you are facing problems in adding a library in Proteus 7 or 8 Professional, then have a look at How to add new Library in Proteus 8 Professional.
- If you haven’t bought your Arduino Mega 1280 yet, then you can buy it from this reliable source:
Buy Arduino UNO
- After placing the files in the library folder, open your Proteus software and if it’s already running… restart.
- Now look for the Arduino Mega 1280 V2.0 by clicking the “Pick from Libraries” button as mentioned in the figure below:
- Select Arduino Mega 1280 V2.0 and click OK.
- As you click OK, you’ll see the Arduino Mega 1280 board in the proteus workspace as shown in the figure below:
- The clock frequency of the Arduino board is 16MHz by default as shown in the properties panel.
- Next, we need to upload the hex file to run our board.
- To upload the hex file, you need to double-click the Arduino Mega 1280 board.
- As you double click, it will show the following image:
- In this panel, you can see the different properties of the Arduino Mega 1280 board. Click the property named “Program File” to upload the hex file of your Arduino code.
- Upload the hex file of your code and click Ok.
- Now let's design a simulation of this Arduino Mega 1280 board so that you can learn how to use it in proteus software.
Comparison with Old Proteus Library (V2.0 vs V1.0)
- The below image presents the comparison between version 1 Arduino Mega 1280 Board (V1) and version 2 Arduino Mega 1280 Board (V2).
- You can see in the above figure, V2 Arduino Mega 1280 board is more compact and small-sized as compared to the V1 Arduino Mega 1280 board.
Arduino Mega 1280 LCD Interfacing
- You can either use our simulation file that you’ve downloaded at the start or you can design your own. I would suggest you design your own, as you’ll learn many things along the process.
- Now, I will interface a 20x4 LCD with the Arduino Mega 1280 board.
- To interface this LCD, design the circuit as shown below:
- Pins 8,9,10 & 11 of Arduino Mega 1280 are attached with the data pins of LCD, while Enable & Reset of LCD are connected to Pin 12 & 13 of Arduino board.
- Now compile the Arduino code present in the zip file and get the Hex File.
- Upload that Hex File in your Arduino Mega 1280 Properties panel, as we’ve practiced in the previous section.
- After setting this arrangement, click the RUN button and if everything goes fine, you will get results as shown in below figure:
- Download Arduino Mega 1280 Library Files in zip format.
- Copy files available in the "Proteus Library Files"(Folder) and place them in the Library folder of Proteus software.
- Search for Arduino Mega 1280 in Proteus software.
- Place this board in the workspace.
- Open Properties panel & upload the HEX File.
- Interface Arduino board with LCD & run the simulation.