Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s post, I am going to share a Final Year Project in detail, named as Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM. I will give you all the details so that you can easily design it on your own but its not open source, we have placed a small amount and you can buy it using PayPal. Click the above button to buy it. When you buy it you will get both the Arduino codes and Proteus Simulations. I have divided this whole project design in four parts. If you got into any trouble in your project, then ask in comments and I will try my best to resolve them. So, today we are gonna have a look at the basics of this Security project.
There are a lot of systems introduced in the market these days that are used to transfer sensor data from one node to another either wirelessly or through some wired connection. The propose technique also works on this same principle. But a lot of modifications are intended to introduce in order to enhance this technique.
1. Introduction – Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM
In this project, I have designed a real time security system, which consists of two wireless nodes named as
- Sensor Node
- Base Node.
So, first of all let’s have a look at these two nodes one by one. First, I am gonna discuss Sensor Node:
Sensor node is placed in that building which is need to be secured. Sensor node consists of three different sensors and two modules used for security purposes named as:
- Smoke Sensor: To detect Smoke.
- Flame Sensor: Used for Fire Detection.
- Temperature Sensor: Measuring Temperature of surroundings.
- GSM module: is used to deliver the notification message if any fault occurs in the system.
- GPS module: is used to locate the exact position of the fault occurred.
Below two modules are used for controlling purposes:
- Arduino UNO: All these Sensors and modules are connected to Arduino UNO.
- XBee Module: To send sensors’ data & GPS Location to Base Node.
Block Diagram for the Sensor Unit of Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM is shown in below figure:
Now let’s have a look at the Base Unit of Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM.
- The base node will be placed in the Control Department. It could be your security guards room or the nearby police station.
- This node will receives the data from the sensor node via XBee module.
- So, in total it will have three modules on it which are:
- XBee Module: It is used to maintain a wireless communication between sensor node and base node.
- LCD 20×4: It is used to display the real time conditions like sensors’ values & GPS Location.
- Arduino Mega 2560: It is used to control both of these modules.
- Here’s the block diagram of Base Unit for Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM:
2. Components Selection – Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM
In the previous section, we have had a look at the basic Introduction of our Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM. This section will elaborate the selection of the components which is the most important factor before designing any project/product. This is basically a simulation based project so there is no hardware involved in this project. The proposed technique is designed in Proteus ISIS. All of the components are taken from the Proteus library.
- Flame sensor is an electronic device usually used for fire detection purposes.
- It can be used in homes, industries, offices, schools etc.
- A certain threshold is adjusted while designing the algorithm.
- When the fire flames crosses that particular threshold, flame sensor will send a signal to Arduino which will send that signal through Xbee to Base Unit immediately.
- As soon as the signal will be received on the Base Unit, alarm will turn ON and hence guards will came to know that this area has become dangerous now.
- Immediate precautions must be taken in this case.
- Flame Sensor is not available in Proteus so we have designed its library.
- You should download this Flame Sensor Library for Proteus.
- Smoke sensor is used to detect the certain level of smoke within the desired region.
- It is usually used in homes and organizations for detection of fire or internal burns.
- It is a low cost and very sensitive sensor which also beeps if someone is smoking in its coverage area.
- This Smoke Sensor will detect any smoke in the area then it will warn the Arduino board which will in turn send a signal via XBee to Base Unit.
- Proteus software doesn’t have smoke sensor in it so you should download this Smoke Sensor Library for Proteus.
- Temperature sensor is an electronic sensor used to estimate the temperature in surroundings.
- The temperature range can be adjusted while designing its algorithm.
- When the temperature in surroundings reaches the adjusted threshold, it generates a notification.
- Most of the time an alarm is attached with the temperature sensor. Alarm starts to beep when the desired temperature is reached. It can be used in homes, offices and organization to maintain the temperature of a certain area according the desired requirements.
- But in our project we want to send signal to base unit, so that’s why this sensor will send a signal to the base unit.
- XBee is selected as a wireless module. The proposed technique consists of two XBee module.
- One is attached to the base unit and the other is attached to the sensor unit.
- The data is transmitted by the sensor unit via XBee module.
- And the XBee module attached to the base unit receives that data from the sensor unit and sends it to the microcontroller to manipulate it.
- There are a lot of wireless module available in the market these days e.g. Radio Frequency (RF) module.
- Some of them are not used commonly due to their shorter ranges e.g. Bluetooth module.
- XBee module is far better as compared to the Bluetooth module and provides the larger coverage area in comparison to the similar wireless modules.
- So, XBee is used in this project. XBee module is not available in Proteus so that’s why you should download XBee Library for Proteus.
- Microcontroller plays a vital role in any project and is like a backbone of the particular project.
- Arduino UNO and Mega 2560 both are selected as a microcontroller.
- Arduino UNO is attached to the sensor unit and Arduino Mega 2560 is attached to the base unit.
- Arduino is an open source device. Students can take online help in almost every task. Online source codes are also available for different tasks.
- So, a student can easily perform them with a proper understanding.
- Arduino boards are also not available in Proteus so you should download this Arduino Library for Proteus.
- GPS module is used to locate the exact location of the fault.
- GPS module will be attached in Sensor Unit, so if anything goes wrong then we can also get the GPS location via SMS.
- It will provide us the longitude and latitude of the fault occurred on the sensor unit.
- So, now if any of these sensors’ goes wrong then you can easily get the location of your sensor node via sms. So, you can also use it in some vehicle, which could be stolen.
- Proteus doesn’t have GPS Module in it so you should download this GPS Library for Proteus.
- GSM module is used for the security purposes.
- If a fault is occurred at any position within the network, a notification message will be generated and sent towards the base unit from the sensor unit.
- We can also generate a call using this GSM which will be a much better way.
- This GSM module will also send the location via SMS. We have received this location from GPS in the form of longitude and latitude.
- Proteus doesn’t have GSM Module in it so you should download this GSM Library for Proteus.
So, these are all the components / modules, which I have used in this project. So, in the first part, have seen the basic Introduction of the project and then in second section we have had a detailed overview of all the modules used. So, now in the next section which is the third part I am gonna show you How to design these Proteus Simulations.
3. Proteus Simulation Designing – Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM
In this section, we are gonna have a look at how to design these Proteus Simulations for Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM. As you know, I have used Arduino so we also need to discuss the code in order to run these simulations. So, first we will design the proteus simulations and then we will write its code.
- I have designed two simulations for this project.
- Firs of all what you need to do is to download all those above Proteus Libraries and add them properly.
- I have given detailed instructions in each post about How to use them.
- After adding all these Libraries, now restart your Proteus software and design a circuit for the Sensor Unit.
- Proteus Simulation of Sensor Unit is shown in below figure:
- As you can see in above figure that Sensor unit consists of three different sensor modules, which are:
- Temperature sensor.
- Smoke sensor.
- Flame sensor.
- In this unit Arduino UNO is used as a microcontroller to get data from all the sensors and this data will be transmitted wirelessly towards the base unit for the proper monitoring.
- XBee module is used for the wireless communication between sensor unit and the base unit.
- GPS module is interfaced in order to locate the exact position of the fault occurred in the system.
- Now we are gonna design our second simulation for Base Unit.
- The Proteus Simulation of Base Unit is shown in below figure:
- Base unit is basically a monitoring end of the system.
- All the data obtained from the sensors is transmitted by the sensor unit towards the base unit.
- Base unit has an Arduino Mega 2560 as a micro processing unit.
- Just like sensor unit, an XBee module is also attached on the base unit in order to receive the data wirelessly sent by the base unit.
- There is an LCD on the base unit. It is used to visualize the obtained results. It displays different messages e.g. fault detection, sensors data etc.
- GSM module is used in the base unit to send the notification if a fault is occurred in the system or the system is showing some abnormal behavior even for an instance.
- This GSM module will also send the location in SMS. You have to enter the number of recipient in programming code.
- As I have explained earlier that our team has put quite an effort in designing this project that’s why its not open source but we have placed a very small amount and you can buy it from our shop.
- You can buy the complete code and working Proteus Simulation by clicking the below button:
- When you buy this project then you will get a .rar file and within that rar file you will find two folders.
- One of them will have the Arduino Codes and the other one will have Proteus Simulations.
- I have already added all the hex files so you just need to run these simulations.
- If you got into any trouble then use our Contact Form and our team will also help you out.
- You should also need to read How to Get the hex file from your Arduino Software.
- Now coming towards the last section of this project, now I am gonna show you the results of these simulations.
- So, I have run both of these Simulations and here’s the first look of Base Unit:
- The LCD on base Unit is displaying the title of our project.
- Virtual Terminal is connected with Arduino so that we could also have a look at incoming or outgoing data.
- After that first of all, Arduino will communicate with the GSM module and will set its settings, as shown in below figure:
- Now our GSM module has configured, so the next screen of base unit is shown below:
- As you can see in above figure that LCD is displaying the values of all three sensors and because all are normal that’s why Alarm is OFF.
- Temp value is 0 because we haven’t yet received the data from sensor unit.
- Now let’s run our Sensor Unit and make our Fire Sensor HIGH, then you will get results as shown in below figure:
- Alarm is also ON in above figure and SMS has also been sent which is shown in Virtual Terminal.
- In case, when both of fire and smoke is detected, LCD will display smoke as well as fire detection messages.
- SMS will also be sent as you can see in the Virtual Terminal. GSM has sent the message indicating Fire Detected and GPS Location.
- Base Unit Proteus Simulation is shown in below figure:
- So, whenever you change any of these sensors’ values in the Sensor Unit then respective value will change in Base Unit.
So, that was all about Real Time Security Control System using XBee and GSM. If you got into any trouble then ask in comments and I will help you out. Thanks for reading, take care and have fun !!! 🙂