Hello Everyone! Hope you’re well today. Happy to see you around. In this post today, I’ll walk you through the Introduction to Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2.Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2 is a microcontroller
board based on ATmega4809 and carries an ECC608 crypto chip to ensure a secure and safe WiFi connection. The board contains 14 digital I/O pins, 5 PWM
pins, 6 analog pins, one SPI protocol, one I2C, and one UART communication protocol.I suggest you read this entire post till the end as I’ll detail the complete Introduction to Arduino Uno WiFi Rev2 covering pinout, pin description, features, programming, and applications.Let’s jump right in.
Introduction to Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2
- The Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2 is a microcontroller board that is mainly based on the ATmega4809 microcontroller.
- Contains a temperature sensor and a 6 axis accelerometer/gyroscope for motion sensing. Generally employed to develop fall sensors, step counters, door opening alarms.
- A brand new ECC608 crypto chip accelerator is included on the board to ensure a secure WiFi connection.
- The safe and secure WiFi connection makes it an ideal pick for several industries including consumer electronics, automotive, agriculture, logging data, and small home automation projects.
- The oscillator speed is 16MHz which is required for the synchronization of all internal functions.
- There are total 14 digital I/O incorporated on the board out of which 5 are used as PWM pins and 6 analog pins are available on the board.
- The flash memory is 48KB that is mainly employed to store the sketch (Arduino program is called a sketch) while the EEPROM is 256bytes and SRAM is 6KB.
- The EEPROM is a non-volatile memory which means it stays stored in the board even if power is removed from the board. While SRAM is used to manipulate and generate variables when it is activated.
- The DC current for the 3.3V pin is 50 mA and the DC current per I/O pin is 20mA. And the recommended input voltage ranges from 7V to 12V.
- The operating voltage of this board is 5V. Moreover, this board also incorporates Secure Element = ATECC608A and Radio module = u-blox NINA-W102
- This board is an advanced version of Arduino Uno. But the processor architecture of this Rev 2 board is different than the Arduino Uno since it incorporates a different chip. The program you write for Arduino Uno will not work with Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2.
- Other features include a power jack, USB connection, a reset button, and an ICSP header. ICSP header is used to develop communication with other devices while pressing a reset button will reset the board and start the program from the initial stage.
Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2 Pinout
The following figure shows the pinout diagram of Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2.
Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2 Pin Description
This was all about the brief introduction to Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2. In this section, we’ll detail the pin description of each pin incorporated on the board. Let’s get started.
14 digital pins are installed on the board which you can use as an input or output according to the requirement. These pins get only two values i.e. HIGH or LOW. When they receive 0V they are in a LOW state and when they receive 5V they are in the HIGH state.
6 analog pins are available on the board. These pins can receive any number of values in comparison to digital pins that only get two values HIGH or LOW.
Out of 14 digital pins, 5 are used as PWM pins. These pins generate analog results with digital means. These pins are mainly used to control the speed of the motor.
This board features the SPI protocol. Which serial peripheral interface communication protocol. It is used to develop communication between the controller and other peripheral devices like shift registers and sensors
. It contains two Pins i.e. MISO (Master Input Slave Output) and MOSI (Master Output Slave Input) are mainly incorporated for SPI communication between devices. These pins are used to send or receive data by the controller.
I2C is a two-wire communication protocol. It contains two pins SCL and SDL.
The SCL is a serial clock line used to synchronize all data transfer over the I2C bus while SDL is a serial data line used to carry the data.
The UART is a serial communication protocol. It contains two pins Rx and Tx. The Rx is the receiving pin used to receive serial data while Tx is a transmission pin used to transmit the serial data.
Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2 Features
The following are the main features of Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2.
- Microcontroller = ATmega4809
- Input Voltage (recommended) = 7 - 12V
- Operating Voltage = 5V
- DC Current for 3.3V Pin = 50 mA
- DC Current per I/O Pin = 20mA
- Digital I/O Pins = 14
- Analog Input Pins = 6
- PWM Pins = 5
- Flash Memory = 48KB
- EEPROM = 256bytes
- SRAM = 6KB
- UART = 1
- SPI = 1
- I2C = 1
- Oscillator = 16MHz
- Secure Element = ATECC608A
- Radio module = u-blox NINA-W102
- Inertial Measurement Unit = LSM6DS3TR
- Size = 53x68mm
- Weight = 25g
- The board contains a USB port. Simply connect the board with the computer through a USB cable and start playing with it. The Arduino IDE (integrated development environment) software is mainly used to program all Arduino boards.
- Moreover, this board carries an internal Bootloader that is employed to burn the program inside the controller. This means you don’t need an external burner to burn and program the microcontroller board.
- While you open up this IDE software, you will be presented with LED basic program through which you can check if your board is working fine.
Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2 Applications
- Used in fall sensors, step counters, door opening alarms.
- Due to the presence of WiFi connection ability, it is mainly employed for IoT applications.
- Used in embedded systems and control systems
- Used in educational projects
That’s all for today. Hope you’ve got a clear idea about Introduction to Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2. If you have any query, you can pop your comment in the section below, I’d love to help you the best way I can. You’re most welcome to share your valuable suggestions and feedback around the content we share so we keep producing such content customized to your exact needs and requirements. Thank you for reading the article.